My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Day + 16

WBC 2.1, HGB 101, PLT 107, ANC 527

Quote of the Day:
FOR THIS DAY, ACKNOWLEDGE THE RESTORING POWER OF HOPE. DIRECT THAT POWER TO BLESS ALL THAT NEEDS HEALING IN YOUR LIFE, INCLUDING YOUR NEGATIVE ATTITUDES AND DISAPPOINTMENTS.
- Caroline Myss and Peter Occhiogrosso

We had a bit of a scare this morning, as my 1st set of bloodwork came back with a WBC of 1.3, HGB 70, & PLTS 61.......when your HGB drops below 80, a blood transfusion is required. Obviously, we rechecked the bloodwork & the numbers were all up, as per above. Finally, my ANC is over 500!

At the hospital, I had my 2 hours of Bolus & then I was fortunate enough to get into see Dr. Couban before noon......therefore, I didn't have to come back for my scheduled 3:20 appt. He once again expressed how pleased he was at how I have handled the Stem Cell Transplant. Now it is a waiting game to see if we will get the results we are looking for.
Around "Day + 60" I will have a CAT Scan & a Gallium Scan to see where things stand. If those tests show negative for Cancer, then we will set up an appointment in Sherbrooke, Quebec, for me to have a PET/CT Scan.........this is a more accurate test than a Gallium Scan. It will show if there is any active cancer cells in my tumour.

I see Dr. Couban again on August 15th...... as I mentioned in earlier postings, I am participating in a 2 part study in which the 2nd part is a flip of the coin to see if I will get a follow up treatment of Rituxan. If I get the side where I receive Rituxan, it means that every 2 months for 1 year, I will get Rituxan by I.V. The study is trying to show whether or not the Rituxan helps prevent recurrance of lymphoma. In order to be eligible for the Rituxan, my original cancer cells had to be CD 20 positive(which mine are).....this is a type of antigen attached to the cancer cells. If I don't win the toss, I will have no follow-up treatment.

Anyway, on August 15th, Dr. Couban will pull my Hickman line, if I am not going to receive Rituxan.....he feels that a patient should only leave the line in as long as it is needed. If I am not to receive Rituxan or blood products, then it should be pulled. I guess other doctors think differently......

Well, I am home tonight & looking forward to sleeping in my own bed.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Angie, "WOW" is a great word for you today,we are all so happy for you,your counts are coming up nicely! You will sleep well tonight my dear,no place like your own bed and surroundings. We are busy with all the kids home,I'll tell you 12 grandchildren are pretty noisy at times,but they do get along well. Today we tie-dyed shirts for all of them,they look really cute,alot of patience by all the parents as well! We had a salmon bar-b-q tonight,potato salad,greek salad,green salad,buns,wine etc. All was full after that. Well good night,I am going to bed now as we have another busy day tomorrow. LOve you Uncle Terry and Aunt Tish

2:52 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there, and welcome home! And thanks also for the lovely comment on Wednesday's blog entry. :)

I'm operating under reduced mental capacity, so I'm going to have to make this quick! (Did you have ICE, and did it make you StupiT also? Yikes. Me so dumb now.) Anyway, Rituxan ROCKS! I know a couple of folks who've had GREAT results with it -- one of whom had never even seen remission despite 2 tandem auto-SCTs and every other kind of treatment you can imagine. It's supposed to be wonderful, and quite well-tolerated. Interesting study! I'm going to participate in the AMD3100 study (increased stem cell collection) -- I'll be very interested to learn more about this Rituxan thing as you post more.

Uhhhh, what else? Oh! How come the big discrepancy on the counts? Why did they change so?

Regarding your Hickman: That's a quick removal! I'm happy for you, and I'm sure your doc knows what he's doing so I'm not about to second-guess him. When I asked about Emory's protocol for its removal, my doc (who's the Director of the Bone Marrow Transplant Center) said that they like to leave it in for at least 2-3 weeks after your release from the hospital just in case you need fluids or a transfusion or medication -- and sometimes you need more than one at the same time, so it makes it easier all around if they've got more than one avenue in -- and without sticking you. I was disappointed to hear that it would be so long, because I know I'm going to want that octopus pulled right OUT of my chest, but it didn't at all seem up for debate. Alrighty then! I'm happy for you, though, and it doesn't sound at the present like you're going to need a lot of IV support in your healing since your counts are recovering so nicely. So I guess that's where he's coming from? Anyway, good on you!

I'm fading now, so it's lights out for me! Thanks again for the sweetness over at my blog. :) I'll reply in the comments tomorrow when my eyes aren't crossing. Hope tomorrow brings you another wonderful day -- I'm so happy for you and Sue and the pups that you'll be waking up in your own home. Life is good!

11:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home