My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Day + 7

WCB 0.2, HGB 89, PLT 31

Quote of the Day:

"No one can depress you. No one can make you anxious. No one can hurt your feelings. No one can make you anything other than what YOU allow inside."
- Dr. Wayne W. Dyer


Last night was a bit rough as I didn't settle into a great sleep. Around 4pm., after my bloodwork and vitals where taken by my nurse Lisa, I had the dry heaves.....very painful when you have no subtance to throw up....but you still go through the motions.

Anyway, today is a new day.....I am feeling fairly good......I am all cleaned up.....ready for all the possibilities ahead.

It may be a good sign that my WBC remained at 0.2 for two days....we are waiting for my ANC calculations to see if they are up at all. If they are, it could mean that things are starting to move in a positive direction. Or it might not mean anything yet.
My ANC has been 0 since Day +2.......I can leave the hospital once my ANC reaches 500(or .5 %). Once again, ANC (stands for Absolute Neutrophil Count) is the measurement of the total number &/or % of mature Neutrophils or WBC that are working to prevent infection.

My Platelets went from 10 up to 31 after my transfusion. Apparently, this is a very good increase. Tomorrow, it will drop again, but hopefully not enough for another transfusion.

Dr. Bashar Salih was in for his examination today & everything appears to be going well. He said that I am doing "Above Average" for this stage of the transplant. That is what I like to hear...

So far there is not too much else to report on the day..... so I will write more once there is something more tangible to report.

All of the e-mails and comments I receive each day have lifted my spirits on so many occassions. Even when I was feeling at my worst.....the motivational & humorous notes from you could make me smile or cry..........they would make me forget how awful I was feeling at that moment. I thank-you from the bottom of my heart.....for those gifts.

Love Angie

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie! You inspired me to watch The Sound of Music! I forgot how great it is. The kids love it. Rachel watches it quite regularly, actually. Keep those counts up! Talk soon. -Rhonda.

10:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie
Sounds like you plugging your way up the hill. I have to say I laughed like crazy at Colleens comments about all your puking, I know it isn't funny that u are puking, but I was so glad she was trying to add some humour to it. Looks like you have a great support group in your family and Sue....I can't believe she never watched Sound of Music!!! Take care of yourself, keep up the positive attitude and determination...we are rooting for all your "numbers" to get where they need to be so you can go home.
Cheers
Julie

10:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie: You are a TROOPER!!! No wonder the Dr. said you are doing above average for this stage in your journey. I admire you so much for the way you handle these everyday situations. Keep smiling that beautiful smile. Your fans are smiling with you each time we read your updates.
Love, Mary(in the valley)

10:57 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Angie, this post actually made me cry, mush that I am. You are an incredibly strong and special woman, and you're facing head-on with grace the single largest challenge of your life. Your shining spirit inspires and motivates me, and I thank you.

It's an honor to be able to help you even a little.

Great news on the "above average!" So validating! Wouldn't it be cool if the doctors, when they're doing rotation, would hold up signs with they're numerical assessment, like in the Olympics? That would be such a motivator! Now you know we'd all be giving you 10's across the board, right?

So how was your mom's pea soup and can of tuna? Talk about your breakfast of champions!

1:36 pm  
Blogger jeannie said...

Awesome! Awesome! (we like "above average")

8:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lori Fitz here...
Well Angie...looks like I better get the hats in the mail. I can't believe you have such a great grin through all you've been going through. You have a nice shaped head. Shame to cover it up with a hat from some Farm Implement Dealer in High River....but that's what's coming your way. I hope you like "international orange"...
Isn't it odd to be so attuned to the blood count numbers....like playing the 6-49....or Bingo. I remember clearly. There was a phlebotomist at the hospital i was at who was actually from Transylvania and I was there during hallowe'en and he dressed up like dracula. Very cool.
So if you can't do the salmon sandwich maybe try Alphahbits. See what you spell when you throw up. That would be a really fun game. Only eat seven at a time and it would be like scrabble....things to do when you are stuck in the hospital.
Love Lori dee

11:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home