My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Day + 15

WBC 1.8, HGB 106, PLT 90, ANC 416

Quote of the Day:
TRY TO AVOID THINKING ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE NOT: "I'M NOT HAPPY, NOT RICH, NOT GOOD-LOOKING," AND SO ON. INSTEAD, THINK ABOUT WHAT YOUR ARE:
"I AM JOYFUL; I AM PROSPEROUS; I AM BEAUTIFUL." YOUR SELF-ESTEEM WILL RISE IMMEASURABLY.
-SYLVIA BROWNE

Last night we had a "Thundering & Lightening" storm along with some rain.......it woke me up a few times.....which is maybe why I woke up feeling exhausted today. Mom helped me get cleaned up this morning & I ended up vomiting.....which I thought was behind me.
Anyway, we made our way to the hospital for 8:30am. for my bloodwork & my 2 hours of bolus.......I felt not so good the entire time & could hardly wait until I was back at Mom & Dad's for a nap. I was so exhausted & nauseated that I slept about 3 1/2 hours.....so much for short naps!

As I write this, I am feeling somewhat better but not 100%.........I am not complaining as I know that this is all part of the recovery process.......which no matter how much I try, will not happen over night.

Mom is making a stuffed chicken dinner & Sue will be joining us after work. I get to see the dogs again!!
I have decided to stay here at Mom & Dad's house one more night, so it is easier to get up & go to the hospital for 8am. My nurse, Allison, is trying to bump up my appointment to see Dr. Couban after my blood work & I.V. ....otherwise, I will have to make another trip to Halifax at 3:20pm tomorrow.......which is more exhausting & inconvenient.
Dr. Couban told me on Monday(when he discharged me), that he may pull the "Hickman Line" out of my chest tomorrow......that means I can shower freely again......& maybe manage a swim this summer!!! Yippee! It also means, that I will have to start getting poked in the arm again, for my blood work.......OUCH......my veins are now so tough that only the best blood gathers can do it with out hurting me too much.

There is not much else to report today other than my counts are looking up.....my ANC is getting very close to 500.....

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie! Even the best of us puke occasionally - though it's usually from a few too many! Glad to hear you're being well taken care of and enjoying the fresh outdoors. Still sending good vibes!

5:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie!
I am absolutely amazed at how fast your blood counts are rising. Looks really good! You probably just puked for old times sake. Kinda like muscle memory. You are surrounded by some very wonderful folks...and puppies too. Yeah, getting rid of the CVC (Hickman line) is a celebration. What a pain keeping those things tidy.
I was always afraid my dog was going to grab hold of it and run...
It is truly remarkable modern medicine and I thank God every day that we are so fortunate to live where we live that all one has to do is focus on getting better.
You are doing well kiddo...keep it up.
Lori Fitz

11:18 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Angie, you're doing GREAT! I'm so happy for you. Out of caring, I have to remind you of what you I'm sure already know: that the process of getting back to normal is one that is gradual, sometimes involving 2 steps forwards and one step back. Be patient and gentle with yourself. Do not push yourself too hard, when hiking up a steep mountain it's a very productive practice, but in this climb, not so much. There's plenty of time for that --- like, oh, when you've been out of the hospital a little more than 2 days!

Enjoy those dogs -- they give so much medicine, don't they? I'm really missing my pets, and it's only been 4 days! I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm in here for several weeks. Nor have we fully identified what we're going to do with them once I'm home. We're talking about locking them upstairs in our large bonus room (filled with LOTS of exercise machines -- elliptical, treadmill, free weights, exercise bike, crossbow, step, etc. -- while I live downstairs, and Lorraine and I can go up there to visit with them, with all the related carnage of their temporary living arrangement to be dealt with by poor Lorraine. Not ideal, but a possibility we're considering.

I'm feeling pretty crappy now, so I'm going to turn in. I'm so glad to hear you sounding so well!! (A little yack is nothing in the greater scheme of things! Your platelets tell a different story altogether, you healing machine!)

I'm proud of you and so happy for you. Go, go, go!!

9:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie - This is Sam. Chris is on day 2 of his high dose chemo. Remember that we are about 2 weeks behind you. Here at Rush they always leave the Hickman in for the first 100 days due to the need for blood products, possible need for IV nutrition and other things if you have problems during this critical time.

I am concerned that they are taking yours out so soon. There is still much ahead.

5:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home