My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Day + 12

This photo of Sue, Jessie & Jasper was taken June 30th, 2006. We had taken our truck camper on a short trip to the Annapolis Valley prior to my hospital admission. This particular day we stopped at the Kentville Agricultural Centre to walk the dogs. It was the most beautiful hike along a small river, deep in a ravine lined on both sides with very old trees.......it was an unexpected "Paradise"!!!!!



This photo of Dad and Jasper was taken on July 5, 2006. Dad, Jasper & I went into "The Camp" for a couple nights just to have a father/daughter getaway! We had such a relaxing time.....good walks, talks & eats....it was another great way to prepare for the SCT!


There were many things I wanted to do before being admitted to hospital. I tried to fit alot of summer activities into the short time period prior to SCT.......as I didn't know what I would be able to do after I completed my hospital stint.....or even how much of the summer I would spend in the hospital.

Everyone has to find their own way to prepare for a major event in their life......I believe that it can only help in your overall performance & ability to handle the challenge when the time comes.

WBC 1.1, HGB 92, PLTS 16 ANC 114 (Auto Count)

Quote of the Day:
"LIFE IS WHAT WE MAKE IT, ALWAYS HAS BEEN, ALWAYS WILL BE."
- Grandma Moses

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Look at those puppy-heads! After smiling at those photo's, I had to go and kiss all over the head of my little Louie. I really hope that he doesn't mind getting kissed to within an inch of his life. I'm pretty sure he doesn't. ;)

I think it's wonderful that you got to do some of those things you love before going in -- both the excursion with Sue and your time with your dad at The Camp sound like just the right preparation. I'm going to do everything within my power to get my onc's green light to go to that cabin with the hot tub, lovely hikes and mountain vistas.

Hope you're feeling better and better all the time, Angie. :) Thanks for granting my request for the doggie pic's!

5:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Angie,
We just got back this afternoon and spent some time reading through the updates from the past week. Our hotel only had wireless for internet and we did not take a laptop with us. Deb was taking nothing that resembled work with her. Sounds like you made some positive gains this week, stay focused on the positive. Glad to hear you can have some visitors like Andrea staying over night. Good idea to practice the guitar, music is so good for the soul on so many differnt levels. At the Melissa Etheridge concert Friday night, she talked about how she believed stress was a major factor in her getting cancer. Now she focuses on living as stress free as possible.
Stay strong, continue to get better, will talk to you again soon.
Love D + L

10:07 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay! Pic's of the pups! Thank you for granting my request, Angie. I'm gearing up for tomorrow's incarcerated stay of ICE, Part Deux. Bring it on!

Which is not to say that I'm HAPPY, exactly, but damned if I'm not motivated.

I'm happy that you got to enjoy some real pleasures before you went in for the big lock-up. It's my plan to at least get away to the mountains before my final ICE session. I figure after that I'll feel too crappy, and I'll have just a bit of an immune system before collection and then high dose. So a window remains!

I have no doubt that you're going to fall into the top 19th percentage of this study, but it does give some good info on recovery post-SCT.

I'm loving those puppy-heads! In fact, upon seeing those pic's and smiling big, I just had to go and kiss my OWN puppy to within an inch of his life. (To which his eyebrows say no, but his eyes TOTALLY say yes. Like a blanket of love is a bad thing.)

12:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, so I'm a total dufus. First of all, I thought the first post hadn't gone through, so reposted later on before going to sleep. THEN, when I reposted, I referred to a study, but then didn't give you the necessary link to understand what the heck I was talking referring to! Sheesh! Ok, here's the link to the study: http://www.fhcrc.org/about/ne/news/2004/05/18/recovery.html

Alrighty then -- if you hadn't already suspected that I have ditzy tendencies, I've effectively outed myself now. :)

I'm off to finish up a couple of things before going to the hospital -- I'll be back on line, albeit with my crawling connection, later on. Looking for better counts all the time, Captain Engraftinator!

9:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home