My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Day + 9 NEW HAIR

NEW HAIR DUE TODAY!

BEFORE PICTURE!













Deana starting the trim process with steralized clippers.












Very Flattering photo that mom took!














Almost done!














The New Look.












The Alternative Look!













WBC 0.4 HGB 93 PLTS 13 ANC 4

Quote of the Day:
"ILLNESS CAN BE A TEACHER, COMPANION, OR CHALLENGE - BUT NOT A PUNISHMENT. STILL, SOMETIMES ITS MESSAGE ISN'T CLEAR. IGNORE THE ILLNESS. LOOK FOR STIMULATION IN THE KNOWLEDGE THAT YOU CAN HEAL IN AN INSTANT."
- Caroline Myss & Peter Occhlogrosso


Well, obviously, there wasn't any upward movement in my white blood counts or my ANC. My platelets have dropped dangerously low to where I might need a transfusion tomorrow.
I guess that I have to continue to wait patiently until the Stem Cells start to mature & do what they were put into me to do.

I am still not able to eat or drink much.....my nurse told me that could go on for another 2 weeks & not to worry about it. Good thing I listened to another patient who had a previous transplant.....he suggested it was a good idea to gain weight prior to SCT. Well, I gained at least 10 lbs. leading in & have already lost all that & will continue to lose more. I call it "The Stem Cell Diet!"

That is all to report for now......will add more when there is more news!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie! I've seen you try a lot of different diets over the years - but this one takes the cake(no pun intended!) You picked a great time of year to lose the hair. This humidity is doing a job on my hair. Anyone want to buy a flat iron?? No more bad hair days for you!! I love the bandana - it's so "Easy Rider". Chin up, one day at a time and eyes forward. Love Rhonda.

7:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie! I am so moved by your courage and determination....your blogs and quotes give me goosebumps...it is very inspirational. You are the definition of a strong woman...So happy you can now see those blue skies! I know you'll continue to feel better with each day. Thinking of you... Cheryl

9:06 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Alright so congratulations are in order on a couple of counts! First, LOVE THE DOME!! When I was bald last year I had a pretty hot straw cowboy hat that I worked the heck out of and that was great -- but really almost all of the time I just put the dome right out there.....I figured God made my head so why hide it? I figured if anyone had any issue with it, it was just that: their issue, not mine. I'll have to see how I feel this time around; I anticipate I'll do the same thing, despite having a lovely, expensive wig and some nice scarves in the closet. I'm more of the mind that those things deserve to stay in the closet but my head doesn't! ;)

Second, congratulations are in order I suppose on your weight loss! Just like a spell at the spa, right? I'm looking at that as the silver lining, actually, as in, "Jeez that projectile vomiting was really unpleasant, but look at my new dress size!"

Hey, I met my new transplant onc (and half the team) today and I go into the hospital on Monday for ICE. I'll be in Mon-Fri; I'll take the computer (and sign up for dial-up service over the weekend, I suppose) so I should still be in contact with my virtual friends (dumb expression, no?) while I'm incarcerated. That's the plan, anyway. Lorraine's getting a cardiac catheterization tomorrow because her heart is acting up again (she had a bad case of Lyme Disease last year and it messed up her heart pretty badly.) Then we're planning to get away with the pup to a cabin in the mountains for a little "denial getaway" over the weekend. Dunno if I'll be online or not.

I've developed a minor addiction to your daily updates, so don't let anything major transpire during any time I might be incommunicado, ok? Unless, of course, you find it possible to increase your blood counts. That would be ok. ;)

Anyway, nice to see your smiling face (and SUES's!!) -- you sound great even if you don't feel it.

Ah. Some good quotes for you: "The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure." ~ Joseph Campbell......and the more somber, but quite profound and perhaps useful, "Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you." ~ Ovid

12:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

I like your alternative look. It looks much cooler.

Sandy

10:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home