My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Day + 13 "GOING HOME"


WBC 1.2, HGB 95, PLTS 33 ANC 192 (Manual Count)
Quote of the Day:
"LOVE IS THE ENERGY FROM WHICH ALL PEOPLE AND THINGS ARE MADE. YOU ARE CONNECTED TO EVERYTHING IN YOUR WORLD THROUGH LOVE."
-Brian L. Weiss, M.D.

SURPRISE!!!..........I am going home today.
Apparently, Dr. Couban (my Stem Cell Transplant doctor) feels that one recovers better at home......so once he feels that engraftment is in full gear & there are no complications he prefers to discharge the patient.........even before the ANC reaches 500. Other doctors may do things differently.......
My platelets took a huge jump from 16 to 33 today.......this is a huge indicator that my bone marrow has kicked into full gear & my numbers will quickly rise in the next day or two!

They took me off my antibiotic, panteloc & acyclovir so there is not much else I need to be in hospital for.....so home it is!
I am going to stay at Mom & Dad's for a couple of days until my house gets cleaned on Wednesday morning. I will have to travel to the hospital every day this week to have my blood checked & to receive some Bolus- (saline & fluids) by I.V.
On Thursday, I will see Dr. Couban as a follow up to my transplant.

My nurse gave me a "GOING HOME" booklet.
The main headlines of the book are:
Moving from the Hospital to Outpatient Care
Caring for Myself After Transplant
Possible Comlications After Transplant
Life After Transplant
Medications

That is all for now.....


10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear dear Angie and folks, reading your update today has certainly brought tears to my eyes. Thank you God.Your courage and outlook has been a blessing to any who you have shared this with.May each day continue to bring renewed health to you.
I am sure Joyce and Murray are quite excited. Hug each other and laugh lots.
Hope to be in touch and see you when you are up to visitors. God bless you all.
Lynn

2:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to going home!!! We could not agree more with your doctor about people recovering faster at home than in a hospital. That is such good news Angie. By the way,...who ever is cleaning your house, could ya send them out here when they're done??? Enjoy and get well,
D + L

2:53 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH!

I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! Please forgive the excited use of all caps and excessive exclamation point usage, but I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!

Yes, regarding healing at home, that's why the trend is moving in the direction of performing SCT's outpatient -- so you're not in the hospital getting exposed to the supergerms but instead are in your home where you're more relaxed, tend to be more active, and have already established immunity to the germs in existence there. So that's excellent!!

Hey any pushback on the dogs staying with you? Or do you need them to stay at a neighbor's or someplace for a period? I ask because I'm concerned about the doc letting me keep my own pets in my home with me when I'm freshly released, as you are now. I'm going to ask about it, but wondered about your experience.

Anyway -- I am just indescribably happy for you and Sue (and Jessie and Jasper, and Coleen and your parents too.) :)

Awesome, stupendous, fabulous news. The going back and forth will be tedious and probably difficult, and tiring if they keep you all day, but OH WELL! You'll have to post pic's of you and Sue relaxing together in your garden. (You'll be the one with the mask on.) LOL

Yay! As I write this, my port is accessed and I'm waiting for my ICE (chemo is my best friend!) -- so thank you for starting me out with such great news! I'm smiling a happy smile. :)

3:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, Congrats on going home!!! Sandy

4:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home!! How nice it must feel to be back in your beautiful house. Enjoy & keep up the good recovering!

5:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,We are so happy you are at home or mom and dad's for a few days... WOW you have done so well,we hope and pray everything will continue to be great. It was so nice talking to you yesterday,you are such a positive person which is what you need to be when you are on this journey. We are busy here,we have Brendan and Ryan here for a few days that is Al and Sybil's boys they are 7 and 4. On Wednesday it will be like a four ring circus around here,I will just have to take time out for a nap as I know I will get really tired. Oh we are so happy tonight for you.You will certainly be less likely to get a bug at home than you would have in the hospital for sure. LOve you Angie keep smiling and do everything and more they tell you to do!!! Uncle Terry and Aunt Tish

12:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT news Angie!! Woohoo! You are such a fighter! There is nothing like the comforts of home. Your blood counts are very promising...good to see those platelets jump :)

We are very happy for you & will check back and see how you are doing & after we get back...(2 days to Montreal)...!

KD & Becky

9:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is great news Angie! It will be a whole lot nicer being in your new home for your recovery. I imagine whilst the view in the hospital was OK and the folks wonderful, home has to be a nicer venue from the pictures I've seen.
Wow your blood counts are moving up fast. Too cool. Very good news.
Lori dee

9:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Angie: It's Sue M's sister (yes, the twin). I check your progress daily, and like everyone else, am so glad to see that you're doing well. Sincerely hope that you continue to progress in such a positive way. You're definitely an inspiration to so many. Keep that big smile of yours and beat this! Sheila & family.

11:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie,

Congratulations on how far you've come so quickly. I'm sure the return home will do wonders for your counts.

Nancy and the kids are spending the summer at her parent's cottage (3 hours north of Toronto) and I'm working in Toronto for the summer. She has limited Internet access up north so I pass on daily reports to her.

Keep up the good work!

Kathy Ploc and Nancy Farrell

10:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home