My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Day + 11

"THE CAMP" - My favorite getaway........secluded, quiet, peaceful, heaven on earth.....looking forward to my next visit.

WBC 1.0, HGB 97, PLTS, 14 ANC 80 (manual count) ANC 140 (Auto Count by machine)

Quote of the day:
"IN LIFE IT'S NOT YOUR APTITUDE BUT YOUR ATTITUDE THAT GIVES YOU ALTITUDE."
- Bill Hunter (Founder of the Edmonton Oilers)

It was a very low key day today as I felt tired most of the time. Mom & Dad visited for the afternoon......I ate a frozen pasta dinner for lunch......managed a good hallway walk.....a restful nap & then it was time for them to go.

Sue is going to try to find a good movie to rent for tonight & then we will call it a day!

I am definitely starting to count the days until I might be able to go home......looking forward to sleeping on my covered swing.....anxious to view my newly planted garden in the front of my house......checking out my Red Maple tree.....sleeping in my own bed.....seeing the dogs.....just to name a few things!

There are 2 ways to measure my ANC. The first method is called the Auto Differential......it is an easier & the most often used method.....it is done by machine.
The second way to measure ANC is manually. This is when a person in a lab counts the neutraphils one unit at a time. It is the most accurate method but takes more time.
Anyway, today my manual counts showed an ANC of 80 and the auto diffential showed an ANC of 140. It is not clear to me yet which number the doctor will use to decide when to release me from the hospital?? Remember, my ANC has to reach 500 before they will discharge me as a patient.

Well, that is all for today.....hopefully tomorrow brings a large jump in my blood counts!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl!!!!!!!! Your counts are creeping up there. I know how anxious you must be to get home. Think of you every day and say a prayer for you each day. How can you not get better real quick when you have me praying for you?
Look forward to reading your counts tomorrow.
Good night, Mary

8:21 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are so the SCT superhero!! Even with the "lower" ANC count, it's still a meteoric rise from, oh, two days ago!!! I am just so, so happy for you!

As for the desire to go home, I totally understand. I remember just aching to get out of that medical incarceration. Headed for my first 5-day stint on Monday morning, I'm getting all ready with my packing list and last minute odds and ends. Lorraine and I couldn't get a cabin on such late notice, so we're hoping I'll get the green light to go away the weekend right before the next ICE. Ok, I'M hoping; she's less enthusiastic about it being a good idea. :) At any rate, the theme for tomorrow is all about preparedness. Any tips? I've got the DVD player (w/movies,) MP3 player, laptop, knitting, sudoku, and PC video games all lined up.

Hey, in other news, my hair's starting to go now, after my first ICE treatment. I hate that part. This morning, Lorraine cut a couple of inches off my hair while I tried not to cry. Knowing something bad is going to happen doesn't always seem to help, does it? So now I have a short sort of 1920's bob, in an effort to forestall the inevitable. Truth be told, I'm just trying to make it to the weekend, so I can lose it at home instead of in the hospital. I don't know how hard it was for you to lose your hair again, but for me it's a bit of a heartbreak -- I'm quite the girly girl, though, so maybe the hair loss achieves greater proportions? Gawd, last time around the chemo killed off two toenails (one of them had to be surgically removed at the root, which was really painful!) occurring just after the demise of my eyebrows and eyelashes, so I was NOT a happy camper!

Anyway, things are about to start ramping up for me -- which is ONLY a GOOD thing! I'm totally ready, and so is Lorraine. We just want to start it, get through it and end it....and then get on the road to recovery.

I'm really just so happy about your blood counts -- also your eating! You're doing beautifully, and I'm sure you're not long for that dreary place. Before you know it, you'll be lounging on that swing, enjoying your home and garden with Sue, and sharing meaningful gazes with those two dogs of yours. :) (I'm DREADING being away from my dog and kitties -- I have one cat who's never spent more than 9 days away from me in 11 years. He and I are the embodiment of "You and me against the world." Hey, how about some pic's of your pets? I'd love to see them! Maybe Sue could take a coupla pic's and you could post them here to enjoy yourself also!

Anyway, I'm just really so happy to hear of your progress. You are The Great Engraftinator!!

12:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning Angie!!!!Hope you had a good sleep!!!I am looking at Mount Everest blowing in this wind and it is very strong and durable....just like you!!!Anxiuous to see your counts today!!You are doing amazing...keep it up!!Jessie and Jasper are very relaxed here.See you soon.
Love Sue and Andrea

9:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home