My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Day + 8


WBC 0.4, HGB 95, PLTS 21 ANC?

Quote of the Day:
"MOST PEOPLE WHO SUCCEED IN THE FACE OF SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE CONDITIONS ARE PEOPLE WHO SIMPLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO QUIT?"
-Robert H. Schuller

Today I woke very tired.....after a restless, interupted sleep....fatigue is a big part of this process & will continue for a long time to come. My Stem Cell doctor usually tells his patients to expect to be a full year before totally returning to normal. I expect to be recovered well ahead of that time....

After trying to eat about a 1" piece of banana plus some diluted O.J., my heartburn worsened & the next thing I new, it all came up again! O.J. is really too acidic to drink when the lining of your esphophagus tract is gone.....anything non liquid hurts when it goes down. I did manage to keep a couple of spoonfuls of macaroni & cheeze down at lunch.

My new room is great......very bright, even though it was foggy most of the morning. The fog has now burned off & I can sit up in bed & look at trees, ocean & sky!














VIEW FROM MY OLD ROOM!













I had a treat today.......my friend Kathy B. dropped into my room for about an hour to play her mini guitar & sing me some songs......music is like a natural drug & I find it to be a wonderful healer!! She left me her little guitar & some music books....encouraging me to use some of my time to learn how to play. I will probably play around with it some.....though I may want to be careful that my finger tips don't turn black & blu......due to my low platelets.

Dr. Salih was in to see me this morning & Dr. Hasegawa was in this evening. They both seem pleased that my WBC jumped up to 0.4. This is a good indication that my Stem Cells are engraphing.....I am looking forward to tomorrows results. We are still waiting for the ANC values.

On the subject of my hair.....I still have it.....though it is coming out one piece at a time. (all over my pillow & sheets). During my chemo treatments last fall, I shaved my head on roughly day 17 after my 1st treatment........this was after my hair came out in clumps & clogged my parents shower on a couple occasions. One of the symptoms to indicate you are losing your hair, is that your roots feel itchy & hurt a bit when moved around. I will keep you posted on this issue.

Good night!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, so happy to hear you're feeling good. Your new room sounds like a luxury hotel- minus the high-tech medical equipment and hospital personell. I am feeling excited by your progress! Engraph stem cells, engraph!! Lots of love and good vibes coming your way, Rhonda.

6:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
Love the quote of the day, and we are sure you will recover well ahead of schedule. You are determined and that's half the battle. Nice picture of you and Sue and we like the view from your room. Watching the sun rise is a great way to begin your day.
We check your blog daily, your doing a great job of keeping people informed.
We're thinking of you.
Rose & Anne

7:04 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey that pic is GREAT! Is that Sue?? If it is, tell her her smile is GORGEOUS!

And the new view beats the heck out of the previous one. Yay!

12:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home