My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Day + 7 Add on

My ANC came back with a whopping 8! This could be a good sign, however, tomorrow should give us a better indication.

Also, I am switching rooms this afternoon. It doesn't happen very often........there are 3 empty rooms in this unit, so the cleaning staff took advantage of this opportunity to wash & wax the floors....
Anyway, they wanted to wax my floor if I was feeling up to it.....so it meant I would be out of my room for most of tomorrow.....after much thought & discussion I decided I might as well just switch completely, rather than for the day.
This room has a view of Saint Mary's University...... Halifax Harbour is off in the distance & I can see the sky & the trees. All my previous stays have been on this side of the building & I really enjoy the morning sun.....and waking up to it each morning.......or at least when it is not raining!! It is a much bigger room too! In any case, it will be a nice change of scenery after 13 days in the other room looking at a brick wall!!

I managed a good walk today & I am feeling better than I have since checking into the hospital!!


TODAY HAS BEEN A VERY GOOD DAY!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

WOOO HOOOOOO!!!!

I'm so happy you had such a good day!! And your COUNTS!! You are the Great Rebounder! You're like Mr. T: "Cancer may be tough, but it ain't as tough as me!"

I love that you get a change of scenery in switching rooms -- and the view sounds GREAT! Looking at a brick wall I think would be, um, well, less than inspiring.

So it DOES sound like a good day! Yay!!

5:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie, We are so happy about your news today,your counts are looking up.... Uncle Terry has a chart he keeps track of you! We think it must have been the tuna and pea soup! Think what FRESH SOCKEYE would do for you!Glad you decided to move into a new room,this one sounds like it will be much more cheerier,just like you are. Keep up the good work,you are a trooper. All of us are keeping you in our thoughts. We love you Angie. Uncle Terry ,Aunt Tish and your kissin cousins!!!!

5:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie,

Tracking your progress and cheering
you on!!!

You'll soon be back on your bike
with the wind in your face.

You're a SUPERWOMAN..

7:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi angie,
So glad you are feeling a bit better and your counts are on the rise.
Here is a quote from Friedrich Nietzsche(1879)

"In the mountains of truth you will never climb in vain: either you will already get further up today or yo will exercise your strength so that you can climb higher tomorrow."
Janet and Jennifer

9:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie,
Great to hear that your ANC is up to 8! Sounds like you had a good day today. That's good to hear. Any day your not puking is good. Dry heaves are not fun though.

That's great your getting a change in view after 13 days. Your not missing much outside. Rain, rain, rain. Maybe you'll get to see some Fog from the other view ;-)

Connie

11:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI, Angie
I live not to far away from you on good old P.E.I. I was dx with nhl in June 2004. I had 6 treatments of cvp plus rituxin. I have been in remmission since November 2004. I just wanted to write to you to say you are a inspiration to me. I love to read your blog every day. I know someday I may have to have a transplant too. The doctors have already told me it probably will. So to read your story has assured me I can do it too. Well I just want to say I think about you alot and hope everything keeps going good. So take care and I will write again soon.
Carol

7:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

Glad you're having a good day. Hope its over soon and you'll be going home. There's lots for you to see (not including the weather) back home.

Stay strong,

Sandy

5:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home