My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Day + 10 Joy to the World!!!

MOM posing in from of my white board in my new room.


WBC 0.6, HGB 95, PLTS. 15, ANC 55.8

Quote of the Day:
"IT'S EASY TO GET LOST IN ENDLESS SPECULATION.........SO TODAY, RELEASE THE NEED TO KNOW WHY THINGS HAPPEN AS THEY DO.
INSTEAD, ASK FOR THE INSIGHT TO RECOGNIZE WHAT YOU ARE MEANT TO LEARN."
- Caroline Myss & Peter Occhlogrosso

Great news today.......... as it appears that my engraftment process has started! My ANC jumped from 4 to 55.8 overnight. Hopefully, we will see even larger numbers tomorrow.....as once they get going, they usually start to multiply by leaps and bounds!!!! Both my doctor's & my nurses seemed very pleased with my numbers......

I managed to eat some oatmeal for breakfast......a mini tub of ice cream......a small decaf. coffee......a few spoonfulls of some chicken stew for lunch....& now I am eating some Macaroni & cheeze!!! So my appetite is good today!

Sue stayed with me last night.....we watched the movie "Black Beauty".....we both enjoy movies involving animals. Today, Sue stayed until just before 2pm. when my blood counts came in. We were slow getting the results because my early morning collection clotted & had to be redone.

Andrea R. is taking her turn at a shift tonight......should be lots of laughs!!! Sue is back here on Saturday night.

So far, I have done very well in the infection department. After my first fever, they started me on a general antibiotic that seems to have done the trick. Most people, have more than 1 spike in fever & more than one infection.....so they tell me I am unusual to have had only one to date. In the early days, post transplant, 80% of infections come from bacteria & virus's already present in my own body.......once the infection fighters are gone....we tend to see the fever & the infection(s).

After my engraftment takes place, & my ANC reaches above 500, my biggest risk of infection will be from those germs I might get from others. The biggest preventer of infection is good hand washing practises......by myself......by those who are to come in contact with my environment. Food preparation techniques are also very important. Thoroughly washing hands before, during and after food prep............properly washing food......properly cooking food & properly storing food........all in prevention of bacteria reaching my mouth! The hospital recommends that I don't eat any raw vegetables........raw fruit except those with a thick rind such as banana's & oranges......... No fast food & it is best to avoid eating in restaurants at all.......FOR 100 DAYS POST TRANSPLANT!


So today was a positive day & one to celebrate!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie,we are so happy to see the better results today,hope they keep going up-up-up.
We have the twins with us for the week-end{Cam and Jasmine,christopher and Julia went to a wedding on another island. We will have a busy couple of days but that's not anything to what next week will be when EVERYONE is around here for a week.
We truly look forward to this family time each year.
Thinking of you and wishing there was something we could do to make your body feel better. LOve you...Your family in BC

10:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie

Great news..Congratulations. Your ANC jumping and being able to have an appetite! Good for you!

With this humidity your going to enjoy your new look alot. It looks good. The alternative look ....looks great to!

I've got great news to share with you. Colleen's leaving KAF on Monday and will be home Aug.6th.

Take care,
Coleen

4:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news, Angie! Keep it up! The "new look" looks great on you. (Not many people can claim that.) Take care, and keep doing what you are doing, Lee & Wendy

10:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, that's the best news in a long time. Get strong and get home soon.
Sandy

5:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home