My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Day + 6

This is Coleen posting.
Angie's counts today are: WBC .2, HGB, 91, PLT 10.

When platelets are 10 or below she has to have a platelet transfusion. She had her transfusion earlier this morning and it only took about 15 minutes.
It is very busy being a patient. Bloodwork, Doctor's rounds, nursing checks (vitals), dressing changes, hair washing, room cleaning, etc. At 12 noon, Angie is finally resting. We have been up since 5:30am. She is exhausted and not feeling the best. She is feeling a little hungry today, but the dilemma is "What to eat?" We called mom to the rescue, and she is going to whip up some split pea soup and bring a can of tuna. (Angie's request, certainly wouldn't be mine) Mom is due to arrive at 1pm. Mom will staying for the night.

Quote of the day:
" Life isn't a matter of milestones, but of moments."
-Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie,
I've been thinking of you for a while now (since I found out last Aug. about your diagnosis). I did email you but my email to you bounced back.

Coleen sent me your blog site and I've been following it daily.

I just wanted to send you all my best wishes and to let you know that I'm thinking of you. It sounds like your being well taken care of, but if you need ANYTHING at all don't hesitate to let me know. Same goes for you Sue.

Connie H

6:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie...it was so nice to visit with you last night and share some laughs....We are curious to see what your blood counts are today.Hope you had a good night and you got lots of rest.Your doing great!!!
Sorry you thought the blueberries were for you :(
Weren't the "Fockers" funny!!!Hope you have a good day!!!
Love Sue and Andrea

8:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home