My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Day + 21

HEY! LORI/LAURIE FLOAT @ THE NANTON PARADE!!!!
THANK-YOU FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT :)........!!












WBC 2.6, HGB 103, PLT 156, ANC 978 (AUTO) & 1404 (Manual)

Quote of the Day " WHAT YOU DISMISS AS AN ORDINARY COINCIDENCE MAY BE AN OPENING TO AN EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURE. "
-Deepak Chopra, M.D.

Sorry for neglecting my blog during the past few days......the week-end kind of got in the way!
The weather was beautiful.....I spent time resting & reading on my swing......did a couple small house projects....went to my neighbors cottage on Sunday afternoon......did lots of napping & going to bed early. Monday was a holiday......I watered the garden with a brand new long handled hose adapter..... which gave me a sense of accomplishment. :)
My day usually involves accomplishing something & then resting or napping on and off all day. I have been getting up early in the mornings and walking a mile or two, then stretching & doing some light arm weights......when I am finished, a nap usually follows. As time goes on, I will be needing less naps. It is very important to listen to my body.....rest when tired.....this really helps in the healing process.

Last night & early this morning we had another thunder & lightening storm with lots of rain......restless night & I woke up feeling very tired.
Dad took me to the hospital for 8am. this morning. Today, I had blood work & my Hickman line cleaned. My bloodwork only has to be done once a week now & after next week, my Hickman line will probably be yanked, so I will have to start getting poked in the arm once a week for the blood work.
After lunch, I fell a sleep for most of the afternoon.....now I am about to head out for a dog walk, as I didn't have a chance to walk this morning. It is definitely a goal for me to walk everyday.

Don't worry, if I don't do an entry everyday......I may not have too much to write about. I will definitely report on anything important as soon as it happens.

That is all for now!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we did notice that you had not made an entry for awhile and were wondering. It's amazing that you are walking for a mile already. The body is amazing in that it usually tells you when it is tired - you just have to know how to read the signals. Sounds like you have it under control. I do my big walk this weekend, so shall be thinking of you along the way.
Brenda of
Brenda & Gerry

9:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds great! You definitely set a great example of listening to your body and caring for its needs -- whether for rest or activity.

I'm happy to hear of your ongoing recuperation -- and your counts continue to climb!

Congratulations on your new long-handled watering nozzle. It's the little things, I swear!

9:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie! Glad to hear from you again - and glad to see you take a little break. I love how you take all the little everyday ordinary things and remind us all how fortunate we are to experience them - not just because of our health, but also because of where we live. We must never forget to be grateful - thanks for the reminder! Keep up the good recovering! -Rhonda.

11:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home