My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Answer to Sarah's Questions

The reason my blood work had such a huge discrepancy on Thursday, was nothing more than a lab error.......OR it may have happened during the collection process.....the blood may have been diluted with fluid when the nurse flushed my line. When the results came back with such a large drop, my nurse immediately figured it had to be incorrect. The only way my HGB would have dropped so significantly, would be if I had some sort of bleed.....anyway, we were pleased when it all came back OK!!

I didn't have ICE for my first 2 high dose chemos.
The standard of care in Canada is R-DHAP for NHL & Hodgkins Disease....which is made up of Cytarabine, Dexamethasone, Cisplatin, plus or minus Rituximab (Rituxan). I believe some of these drugs are the same as ICE.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am part of a Phase III Study Number: LY.12.

The first part of the study is being done to compare two different combinations of chemotherapy to see which is the better salvage chemo. This study compares the standard treatment listed above (R-DHAP) vs. (GDP).....this consists of Cisplatin, dexamethasone,gemcitabine, plus or minus Rituxan.
The drug gemcitabine is similar to cytarabine in the way it works against cancer cells and the side effects of gemcitabine may be less severe than the side effects of cytarabine.
Participants in the study are randomized to have one of the above treatments.....I was randomized to receive R-DHAP which is administered on an inpatient basis. GDP is done on an outpatient basis. Fortunately, I responded very well to R-DHAP.

The second part of the study randomizes patients with CD20 B Cell lymphoma to either receive Rituximab once every 2 months for 1 year or not receive further anti-lymphoma treatment unless the lymphoma comes back.
Personally, I am strongly hoping to receive Rituximab......so I will need everyones strong positive vibes on August 15th.

I hope that answer's your questions Sarah. I do have a web site of the study somewhere if you want to know more ....if I find it, I will add it to this post later for the information of others aiming for Stem Cell Transplant..

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say "Good Job"!! You are truly using all your strengths to get through this rough patch! I know I don't personally know you....but I check your journal daily and have you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest up! and take care!

Susy

9:02 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow wee! -- a whole post to respond to me! Well thank you very much for the clarification and detail. I know the CD20 B-Cell thing is definitely a non-Hodgkins vs. a Hodgkins thang; I'm curious now to check into the current state of DHAP's usage in HD patients. I'm very glad you got treatment that was effective in accomplishing its goal without inflicting too much pain in the process. I'll definitely be sending powerfully influential and positive vibes your way on the 15th.

I've had a wonderful weekend frolicking in the pool! It's amazing, really; I feel like a different person altogether IN the water than OUT! I'm finding the water so energizing and soothing -- with the added bonus that I don't have to do much to keep myself upright! Ha ha

Our pool has salt water, so we've found ourselves particularly bouyant, which is cool. I'm able to do laps in the pool, too, which is great. I think today I pushed myself a little too much, but I don't care! It was fun and that's what naps are for, right?

You sound really well. I loved your post of yesterday -- every day you get stronger and stronger. Every day brings you one step closer to wellness.

I leave you with these words from Eleanor Roosevelt: "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do."

10:25 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Angie ~ Just popping on here to say that I hope all is well, and that the reason you're not updating is because you're just too busy enjoying your loved ones and your home. I'm a little worried though, because it's been 3 days since you're last update and that's not really like you. Sorry, don't mean to nag -- this blog shouldn't be like going to work or an added responsibility -- but I'm sure I can't be alone in wanting to hear that "No news is good news!"

Hugs to you and Sue.

11:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home