My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Day 0 Part B

Jill warms up my stem cells using a basin of water at about 38 degrees Celsius. She continually kept the bag of cells in motion for 3 minutes in the water. After, they were ready, she handed the bag to Dr. Salih & he hung them above my bed & infused them as quickly as possible. There is only a 10 minute window of opportunity from thawing cells to infusion......or else the cells would spoil.
Once the infusion began, I started sucking on a strong spearmint candy. I was warned about a garlicky or burnt cream corn smell & taste I would noticed during & after the transplant. This smell & taste comes from the preservative mixed in with the Stem Cells.The first thing I started to feel was a constriction/tightness around my neck.....this eventually moved its way to my chest. This happens, because the Stem Cells are infused so quickly into the body. I even felt the stem cells running down my legs like a burning or tingling feeling. My nurses continually assured me that my vitals were doing well to keep me from panicking. They also told me to take slow deep breaths to control these symptoms.I received 4 bags of stem cells today totaling 2,700,000 cells. As I mentioned each bag had to be thawed & infused within a 10 minute time period.....therefore, it took approx. 40 minutes to deliver all 4 bags. In between each bag, there was a period of relief before the symptoms would start up again.....though they weren't as bad as the first 2 bags. At one point the constriction in my chest hit me so hard that I thought I was going to vomit......but managed to avoid that! After it was all over, I felt tired & relaxed enough to have a deep sleep for about 2 1/2 hours. When I woke, I felt better than I had in days.....my nurse Cathy brought me in a birthday present that they give all Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant patients. It is a pewter sun catcher for my window. I have been told that they also give each transplant patient a special bone marrow/rainbow blanket as a souvenir.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie! This was your big day. We are keeping track of your progress through this blog...good news the stem cell infusion went well (except for the broken bag). In my line of work in Micro, we work closely with the Tissue Bank Team, so it was interesting so see how they played a role today. I really appreciate all the updates Angie. You are one strong trooper!!

Love & hugs to all,
KD & Becky

7:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your doing wonderful Angie!!!!Go Stem cells Go!!!Mount Everest is doing wonderful too!!!
You truly are a tower of strength...keep the faith!!
Love Sue and Andrea!!!

9:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, thanks so much for letting all of us share this with you. It really is an amazing gift. I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and trying to send some good vibes! Talk soon, Rhonda.

10:23 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm just about to turn in (really long, hard day with unplanned time in the infusion room) but I just had to say WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!! You did it!! I know the hardest part starts now, but you're going to get through it like a champ. You're going to be an engrafting machine before you know it. I know you know this, but walk, walk, walk....feel free to dole out the same counsel to me later on. :)

Thank you so much for all the detail. It helps so much to hear how you felt while it was happening -- I've read everything I could about the process, but not a word about what it feels like. So interesting!

And what's up with that cracked bag?!?! Yikes!! Good thing you had some to spare! I'm with you -- what about those folks who barely have enough to cover the procedure? Oddly, it sort of makes me smile (after the grimacing) -- with all of modern advancements, there is still evident all around us the human touch and its effect. Thank God.

Rest well, and remind yourself that you're doing GREAT!!!!

Go, go, GO up that mountain!!

1:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie,cousin Cam mailin. Truly Amazing. Your smile in the pics is priceless, you still have it. Your confidence glows with strength and it inspires us. Jasmine and I have been following your Blog and are thinking of you every day.You are doing so well! Love Cam Jasmine and Family .

1:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie

Been thinking about you all day and was very happy to see the updates. Thank God you had so many stem cells, how crazy is that that the bag cracked.

Glad to hear that you actually felt well after your nap, that sounds like a pretty positive sign.

I know there's a long road ahead, but another major step has been taken in your journey.

Love you big.

Brenda, Robette and Chloe

2:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK....new cheer today.

Up with the blood count. UP UP UP.

Grab a kite......Up to the sky.

Angie, you are simply amazing to be updating your blog.

The kids ask each day how you are doing, and they wanted me to say "Hi and good health" to you.

Holly & Timothy are leaving Tuesday for a 3 week trip to Alberta and BC with Mom and Bud. I have made a promise to let them know how you are doing while they are away. Timothy says "Hi Sue".


The June ball tourney was postponed/rained out in June. SO we played it just this last week. When we came across the Classics, those who knew you were asking about you. Especially Dawn & Brent.

Because of this blog and the good work you are doing here, I had information to pass along on how/what you were doing. I am sure you will hear from some of your fellow ball players soon!!

OK....now get those blood counts UP UP UP.

XOXOXO times a Million

Jane Michelle Holly & Timothy

8:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie,
You are never far from my thoughts showing the shear determination and strength you have and that we ALL should live by. Your Journey not only shows your determination, but also gives strength to us all. Forge on my friend and always remember "there is light at the end of the tunnel."
Big Hugs
Jude

3:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
Your dad's friend Bob here.
Murray was over Tuesday for a few pops and told about your site so I figured I would check it out.
Murray, your mom and you are becoming my heros.
You guys have so much love and faith in each other it is truly amazing.
When all of this works out maybe some day we can all meet down at Level Spot so I can get to know you like I know your parents.
You are in my thoughts, get well.
Bob

5:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home