My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Day + 2

This is Angie's Dad writing this as she is feeling somewhat wiped out today and not feeling up to typing. I noticed Angie's quote of the day on the board when I came in to her room. "Just remember when you see someone at the top of a mountain... they didn't fall there". Paul H. Dunn
Angie's blood counts today are as follows: WBC 0.2 ; HGB 104 ; PLT 100 ; and her ANC is 0 (yesterday it was 28.8). I think Angie explained in an earlier posting that ANC stands for Absolute Neutrophil Count. When it is at zero, her immune system is basically non existant. She is at a critical stage of the journey now where her body cannot fight off infections on her own without medications.
I must say that Angie's mom and me are very impressed with all of the medical staff that have cared for Angie right from day one during late August of 2005. They are not only very professional but very caring at the same time.
We are both very proud of Angie for sharing this tough journey with everyone out there in the internet world who might benefit from her detailed descriptions of all the procedures she has gone through along the way. She is a real trooper and we love her very much. She will beat this
disease.
In closing today, I want to mention that Angie really appreciates the positive comments she has been receiving, not only in the comment box on the blog site but also by e-mail. For those of you who are still navigating around her blog site like I did initally, you can click on the word "Comments" at the bottom of each daily posting and write a message in the comment box that pops up. Put the bullet in the circle that says "Other" or " Anonymous" and click on "Send" or whatever that button says. Be sure to type your name at the end of your comments. Otherwise
it will be anonymous.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie, I saw your parents today at the office - what great people they are! I know that you've got some tough days ahead so just keep looking at the top (a runner told me that if you do that, you wont see the incline). Good vibes, -Rhonda.

5:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie:
Just to let you know that your cousins in the valley are praying for you daily. Your blog has become a big part of my day, which I share with Gen and Pat. You are a real inspiration to a lot of people, I think it is great that you are sharing this journey with so many of us.
Love, Mary

5:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Angie. Keep resting. Keep positive. We are sending our positive vibes all to you. You are awesome.
love your cuz
Julie ( and the family)

6:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie,
Your Dad wrote that your immune system is basically at zero and reminded us all that you are st a very critical stage of your journey.Please remember that there is no where to go but up and we are all cheering you on the whole way. Go forth warrior.
With love, Deb and Linda

6:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie, This is Lynn MacLeod here abd your Dad told me how to get here. You are such a special person to share so much of this journey with all of us. You are daily in our prayers. Hope each day brings you closer to wellness.

9:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Murray,

Thanks so much for the update, I must admit, I check this blog oh....5 - 8 times a day. haha

Angie honey.....rest well, heal well.

UP with those blood counts now.

XO Jane, Michelle, Holly and Timothy

10:58 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Angie ~ I love that your family fills in for you when you're feeling too poorly to post. What a gift to have such a loving, loyal, beautiful family to buoy you while you paddle through the deeper waters.

I'm sorry you're feeling badly. It's temporary though, just remember that. I spent a lot of my childhood getting painful operations on my esophagus and spending a lot of time in the hospital as a result of an accidental poisoning when I was 2 1/2. (I drank lye.) The thing I told myself throughout my childhood -- it was my mantra, I'd repeat it over and over in my mind until I fell asleep or got through the pain or whatever -- was, "Time passes." Not terribly profound, but it worked for me then as a little girl and it works for me to this day.

Time passes. This is finite. The pain will pass and, as long as you hold fast, you'll get through this. You'll feel awful, you'll sleep, and when you awaken, another chunk of time will have fallen off your sentence there.

You're stronger than you know. Try to remember that. Whatever you think about your strength, you're wrong. You have more. You'll reveal that to yourself.

I'm planning on getting a pink T-shirt for my SCT (which is coming up quicker than I'd expected -- a good thing!) It says "Brave. Smart. Strong." I want it so it reminds me of those things I know about myself now but might forget along the way, you know? Try to remember those truths about yourself, ok? I know you've got to be scared and worried and miserable -- I'm already those things and I'm only one salvage chem treatment into it! -- but while you're those things, you're also totally UP to this, you know?

You're going to be ok. IT'S going to be ok. It's awful that you and I have to go through this, but for some reason we have to. So we will.

You're going to be ok. And time passes. It always does.

Big hugs to you and your beautiful family. (Is your dad adopting?)

12:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,Our thought's continue to be with you. We are so thankfull to be in the "loop" of your journey. Keep resting,stay positive the hill may be steep some days but you will do it. Love you dear. From your family in the WEST.

2:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

You've really had a tough few days, so I thought you might like a little humour to cheer you up. Here are a few puns I found on the internet...some of them are pretty cheesy, but what the heck:

A man leaned to his right because his right leg was shorter than his left. He finally went to see a surgeon after much insistence from friends. Later, one of those friends saw the man walking down the street and noticed that the man's legs were exactly the same length. "See, what did I tell you?" the friend boasted. "You didn't believe the doctor could fix your leg!" The man said, "I stand corrected."

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right now.

It was an emotional wedding. Even the cake was in tiers.

When the waiter spilled a drink on his shirt, he said, "this one is on me."

I went to the butcher's the other day and I bet him 50 bucks that he couldn't reach the meat off the top shelf. He said, "No, the steaks are too high."

Two hydrogen atoms meet. One says, "I've lost my electron." The other says, "Are you sure?" The first replies, "Yes, I'm positive."

This is a story of twin Siamese kittens, or more specifically, of their shared appendage; it is a tail of two kitties.

Darth Vader says "Luke Skywalker - I know what you're getting for Christmas. I felt your presents".

The friars were behind on their belfry payments, so they opened up a small florist shop to raise funds. Since everyone liked to buy flowers from the men of God, a rival florist across town thought the competition was unfair. He asked the good fathers to close down, but they would not. He went back and begged the friars to close. They ignored him. So the rival florist hired Hugh MacTaggart, the roughest and most vicious thug in town to "persuade" them to close. Hugh beat up the friars and trashed their store, saying he'd be back if they didn't close up shop. Terrified, they did so, thereby proving that Hugh, and only Hugh, can prevent florist friars.

I entered ten puns in a contest, and I thought I would win, but unfortunately, no pun in ten did.

------------------------
That's it for now. Get well soon!
Love,
Frank

4:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie;
Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and you are in my prayers. You certainly are a real trooper!
Take care,
Cathie Matthews

9:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie
It's nice to be kept up to date on your journey. Stay strong.
Always thinking of you, Sandy

11:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie....Both you and your mom and inspirations to the rest of us out here. I am praying for you and know you will get through this journey. All the best. Fran Turnbull

12:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep smiling Angie. We are thinking about you, while you are going through this rough time. You've got a great positive attitude. Things can only get better from here.

We'll keep in touch through your blog. (Great idea to stay updated)

All the best.
Jamie, and Fawn McFarland

12:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is all up hill now Angie!!!!You will soon be feeling better and we agree with your dad....you will beat this disease!!!Thinking of you.Dee sends her love to you

Love Sue and Andrea

12:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.K. Angie - this is it... the worst of the journey. You've prepared for it and you can get through it. We are all behind you(and beside and in front). Hang in there and know that we are all with you. Lots of love and good vibes, Rhonda.

4:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

One step at a time....your body is a rock and soon the stem cells will kick in. You are surrounded by love and positive energy. Keep believing, keep strong. Get the rest you need, and let everyone else look after the rest.
Reach for the top...
I wish you could meet my Mom...she had to reach for the top too..she made it...and is an inspiration to all of us.

Thinking of you.
Much love,
KD & Becky

11:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all Banks family,Great to keep up with Angie's progress.Good that Murray told me how to do it,I think Thoughts and prayers with you
as you climb,Angie and with the family as they aid your progress.
Ruth S.

1:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home