My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Day + 1 2nd Stem Cell Infusion

This photo shows my 3 bags of Stem Cells in their frozen state.....-70 celcius. Steam is coming off them as they are removed from the container & then submersed in the tank of warm water to be thawed.
Jill is holding 3 metal trays that held the bags of Stem Cells prior to removal for the thawing
process.
This is Heather, Mom, Me, & Donna posing prior to the Day 2 Transplant.












Mom & I posing for Dad.














My transplant experience was pretty much the same as yesterday. I had that tightening in the chest & neck area….but I just kept sucking hard on the candies & took deep breaths to work through it. Once it was over, I was very relieved to have finished this chapter of the SCT.

Dr. Couban(my Stem Cell doctor) stopped in shortly after I was finished with my transplant & was pleased to see me eating lunch.....he checked out my mouth & noticed some white thickening already forming due to my low white blood counts. I am taking different medications to help with this problem & am rinsing 4 times/day with salt & water to minimise the mouth ulcers I will get. He informed me that I will develop a fever & infection, plus mouth sores over the next few days.

Everyday, my blood counts are recorded on a white board in my room. I started out with a very low WBC of 1.8 the day I was admitted, therefore, they knew that I would bottom out sooner then others starting with a higher count. (Normal is between 4.5-11)

My White Blood Counts today are 0.2 which means that I am extremely suseptible to infection. 0.1 is the lowest count that can be recorded.


This White Board is used to record WBC, HGB, Plt, & my weight (2 times per day).

WBC = 0.2
HGB = 105
PLT = 127

These are going to be the key numbers to watch from now on. They will bottom out & then we wait until the numbers rise again.


I also put a quote of the day on the white board each day. Today's quote is: Celebrate your life no matter where it takes you - no matter how difficult - and know that it is only a transition.


This is Kerry the Social Worker presenting me with my Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Tranplant Blanket. These are given to anyone who is a recipient of a transplant. There are approximately 100 transplants done a year at the QE ll Hospital.








I am holding up a Bone Marrow T-Shirt that says Bone Marrow Transplant - A gift of hope - A gift of life....with a picture of a sun & a rainbow.
I am holding on either side of the shirt 2 other birthday gifts.......one is a pewter sun catcher with a unique wild flower design.
Wild Flowers were chosen for this beautiful floral design for they are thought by many to be the hardiest of all flowers, each with it's own character.
Lily of the Valley is considered a symbol of purity and renewed happiness. This flower has been believed to help humans envision a better world.
Violets are considered by some to be a "return"; a plant given to a traveler to assure a safe return home. They grow so hardily under adverse conditions that they are sometimes called "little savage".
Morning glories are nicknamed by a rural English folk "life of man" because of each rebirth each morning.
Forget-me-not has become a symbol of friendship and fidelity. People who wear this flower supposedly are never forgotten by those who love them.

The other gift to the side of the T-Shirt was given to me by Angie (my study coordinator nurse) It is a stainglass flower with a pewter flower pot that says "Think of You". She also gave me a guardian angle coin with "Watching Over Angie" Written on it.

Another big day has passed.....looking forward to tomorrow & making the best of today.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, you are by the far the strongest person I have had the privilege to have in my family, life ....whatever. You have made your journey through this such an amazing journey for all of us reading your daily inputs. I find myself driving to work, thinking I wonder what will be happening today. We should all be so lucky to have the strength and courage you have. Isn't that supposed to be a family trait!!! ha ha. All the best over the next few weeks and know that we are checking in on you everyday.
PS ( HI Uncle Murray, Auntie Joyce, Collen and Sue)
Cheers
Julie

6:05 pm  
Blogger jeannie said...

My work is done for the day, so I thought I'd check in to see how you are doing. Happy Re-birthday! What a great team you have there at the QEH--to think that besides doing their work, they take the time to think of giving special presents for you.

Sleep well---

Jeannie

7:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, I'm so glad for you that this phase is over and that you've shown such strength through it all(not that I expected any less!!). I'll be keeping track and thinking of you. I'll send good vibes as always. Lots of love, Rhonda.

7:28 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like another banner day! I love the sensitivity of those gifts. I'm in the process of switching transplant centers so that I can have my procedure performed inpatient.

You sound great! Hey, is anyone commenting on your creamed corn smell? I've heard that SCT patients are remarkably odiferous, if not to themselves, to those around them. I'm glad Lorraine and I are not big creamed corn-eaters!

You're a cancer-killing, stem cell-engrafting MONSTER!

10:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie

You are truly a unique and inspirational person. Thank you for sharing what you are going through on your blog. It is truly educational and very inspirational.

You look great in your pictures. Keep up the great attitude...it truly touches everyone that comes into contact with you.

Josie and I took Jasper and Jessie for a little walk last night. You would have laughed at the way Jasper had Josie fetching the ball..it was priceless. You'll have to ask her about her new trick.

You take care. You are in our thoughts and prayers daily.

Love, Coleen and Colleen

6:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are strong.......the best Phrase I can think of is from a movie...."Improvise,Overcome, and Adapt"........you are doing all three!!! Way to go!!

11:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Angie
As I write this note I am sitting here watching you sleep, you look peaceful, but I know you are feeling terrible. The struggles that you have to endure over the next days and weeks are just not fair and make no sense to me. I know that you are now faced with a "new normal", one that you did not ask for or deserve. But like everyone has said, you are facing this new normal with determination and bravery. You are not expected to be strong for everyone. This situation really sucks. I know everyone is saying how brave you are, but I know you are scared, and sad at times and even angry. There are so many people who love and admire you. There are so many of us that want you to get back to the "old normal" with the "new normal" being a distant memory, one that is there but becomes more of an after thought. You are an active, outgoing strong person, and this beast called cancer is testing every aspect of your being. I think it is okay to say that I, like you, long for some of the normalcy that pre-dates August 2005. I miss the times when cancer was not a part of our conversations, when the most important thing we needed to figure out was what time we would meet at Cole Harbor Place (as mornings are always such a struggle, so you would just be trying to push it to 7 am instead of 6:30. Ha Ha) I know that life "is what it is" We can ask the question daily, Why you" or "why not at all" but there are no answers to that, the only option has been to do what you have been doing. Facing this thing 100 percent. The most impressive thing about you is the active role you take in your own well-being and health. You will leave no stone unturned to beat this beast. And knowing the fights you used to get in when you were a kid, I don't think it is going to have a chance, your just taking longer to win. The mean boys at school were wimps compared to this beast. We are so lucky to have our parents, who are facing this interrupted time in your life with the full love and devotion that they have always given us. We are truly blessed in so many ways, but it still doesn't mean that most of this really stinks. Love you lots, your sister, Coleen

1:05 pm  
Blogger jeannie said...

Coleen, I just read what you wrote in these comments. I know that this blog is mostly about our support of Angie but, believe me, I think of you and your parents, and Sue and what a challenge, an Everest, it is for all of you. I feel honoured at being able to share a glimpse of the caring, strong family that you all are.

You sleep well, too----

Jeannie

5:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie. Finally got my computer going and read your blog. I am also proud that you have such a courageous spirit and trust in the power far greater than we are. This all reminds me of the time when I had my first child and went to the trauma of dying and coming back and all the medical stuff I had to go through and pain!!! I guess everone has their experience and journey.I was told by some ladies I met, that they know of people who had the same thing done as you have, and they came through. so it is successful in many cases. I pray for you and wish you high speed of recovery I am glad we had that talk on the phone that day. Here is a quote I like:THE GREATEST ADVENTURES ARE EXPERIENCED IN THE SOUL OF MAN - NOT ACROSS OCEANS OR DESERS.. AND SO IT IS BE BLESSED. LOVE Heidi

1:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home