My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Day + 3

This is Angie's Dad again updating on her behalf. Firstly her Quote Of The Day.
"First ask yourself; What is the worst that can happen? Then prepare to accept it. Then proceed to improve on the worst." Dale Carnegie.
Angie's bloodwork today is as follows: WBC-- 0.1; HGB--94; PLT--68; and ANC--0. They weigh her every day but she advises me that statistic is a secret. A womans prerogative, I guess.
Last night Angie's fever spiked above the normal 38.5C. She spent most of the night vomiting and had a bad case of the back door trots. For the younger generation that means the same thing as diarrhea. Angie's Mom(Joyce) is staying at the hospital pretty much throughout this critical stage. There is nothing like having your mother by your side when you are really sick. It doesn't hurt either that she is a retired nurse. They(staff) believe it will take about a week before Angie turns the corner and starts to feel better after the stem cells engraph.(Take a hold and start to grow). Today they did blood cultures from her Hickman line and also from a vein. This is so they can tell if the infection is in the line or not, as did happen several weeks ago during an earlier phase of her treatment. They gave her an antibiotic called Meropenum by IV.
She also had a chest X-ray today to see if any infection is showing up there. They also did a urine and sputum test; again checking for infection. So you can see that they are monitoring her very closely. Angie also has a burning sensation in her stomach. To treat this, they give her a medication called Pantaloc twice a day by IV. Staff assure us that all of the things that are occuring with Angie are normal for this phase. She just has to tough it out for a few more days.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
I live not to far away from you here on pei. I just would like to say I hope you start to feel better real soon. I also have nhl. I have what they call mixed cell and I was in stage three when dx. in june 2004. I had 6 treatments of cvp plus rituxin. I have been in remission since november 2004. I go every three months for check up and have been told it will likely come back some day. I know if it does come back that they will likely send me over to n.s. I have been there before with my husband and father for heart reasons and they are all so great over there. I would be well taken care of there. You can tell them there that on the Island we have great respect for there hospitals and staff. So I will be reading each day to see how you are doing and will be thinking of you. So get well soon and kick that cancers butt.
Carol.

7:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Can we do it yes we can!!" quote from Bob the builder...:) I think that's what your stem cells are saying to eachother...You are going to feel better in no time!!!

Sending you "Strength"

Susy

8:54 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, Angie, here's another quote for you: "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from indomitable will." - Mahatma Gandhi

It sounds like you have a tough few days ahead of you. Everything I've read says things will steadily improve after that.

I'm so glad your mom can stay right by your side -- your dad, too. He's doing a great job of updating your blog -- he's a great guest host! I sure do hope they get to the bottom of your infection soon.

Thanks to Sue for the response on the creamed corn thing! Just want to know what Lorraine is in for! (I, apparently, will be blissfully ignorant.) :)

Keep chugging along -- you're getting there! For me, it brings to mind the little engine that could....."I think I can, I think I can...."

12:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie!
Lori Fitzgerald here....nice blood counts! Worse than mine were. I don't think my ANC ever got below 0.8. I can imagine you feel like s--t. But hey, it only gets better from here. Looks like you have a grand crew surrounding you. I've been following your progress on your blog site...well done. Very informative and lets us all feel like we don't miss a thing. You are obviously in very good hands.
For fun when you are really bored and nauseous, have a salmon sandwich and then throw up. The nurses love that.
I'll keep watching daily for the updates. You're doing great.
Rest and relax, pretend you are in a quirky sort of bed and breakfast.
Love Lori Fitz

12:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Angie! We have been reading about your journey each day, and are very impressed with both you and your medical staff. It is a very brave and caring thing you are doing sharing your experiences with others, and many people will benefit from it. Your attitude and courage will help you big-time in beating this. (Plus you have such great support from family and friends!) WAY TO GO!!! Love Lee & Wendy

11:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home