My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Day -2

This is Coleen, for those of you who don't know I am her sister. I am writing for her today, as she is very tired and not feeling the best. She has been having low grade nausea most of the day. She went home for the whole day. She enjoyed hanging out on the deck, reading her book and enjoying a few short visits from friends. She stopped into work, (don't worry not to actually work, although I wouldn't put it past her), because her and Sue wanted to pick up a proper piece of foam for the "roomies" that will be staying with her in the bone marrow unit, to have a comfortable sleep. I guess the hospital mattress was pretty uncomfortable. I am the lucky one who gets to break in the "new and improved" mattress. Angie, in her kindness, wants to ensure that people are comfortable when we are here at the hospital with her. Today is likely her last day to go home for awhile, although tommorow is still a "rest day" before the infusion, she will likely stay at the hopsital and just get out for a few walks. She will give an update tommorow. Coleen

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie, Uncle Terry and I have just read your blog.Thankyou Coleen and Sue for writing when Angie was unable to.
We are thinking of you so much these days and you are an insperation to us and I am sure to all of your immediate family and friends. Sorry you have had a few realy sick days,hopefully that part is behind you,nothing worse than throwing up!!!
We were away for the week-end took Joel and Christopher and camped with Al & Syb and the boys,we had a great time you would love it at Rathtrevor it is on the ocean and just really beautiful,we rode our bikes lots,I can keep up to the slowest person most of the time! Next week-end we go again but with all the boys and their families.
Angie we Love you and are with you on this journey. Love Terry and Tish

11:44 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Angie, I'm so glad you got to go home today and enjoy your beautiful home, the view from your deck, I'm sure your dogs, I'm thinking Sue, I hear you enjoyed your friends, and you even got to run a productive errand to care for those who care for you. Sounds like a good day!

I'm sorry you're feeling poorly. It seems pretty inevitable, though. Just part of the process. Easy for me to say, sitting on this side of the high dose chemo! ;) Let's see what song I'm singing when I'm where you are today. :) I hope that when I'm where you are today, in, oh, like 2-3 months from now?, that I am as gracious and productive and smiley as you are. Methinks that you are a badass, Angie.

Hear, hear for the badasses! (I think I just bumped your G-rated site up to a PG-13. Please forgive.)

And hear, hear for the caregivers!! Your family clearly is amazing, and I'm singularly impressed with your awesome sister, Coleen, who is just a real sweetheart. But I guess you knew that.

You're going to be ok, Angie. Anyone who can hike to kingdomcome with a 10cm mass in her chest is no freaking joke. Cancer picked the wrong body, and you're going to make it go away. Just know that as badly as you're feeling now, the cancer's feeling worse.

And that's a good thing.

Keep thinking of that tree, growing tall and wide. Your Mt. Everest. Your SCT isn't your Mt. Everest, Angie....YOU ARE. You are tall and proud and awesome and strong and fearsome and inspirational. Remember that in the bad moments.....or just ask the nurse for some really good drugs. Whichever works.

1:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog through the webmagic lymphoma forums, my name on there is Laura79. Just wanted to tell you I had the same disease as you although my tumor was actually double the size, I had simular experiences where a piece of active tumor broke of during rads and immediately started a new tumor for which I went immediately into ICE and auto stem cell transplant. I'm almost three years in REMISSION and just want to give you hope that you will get through this and be fine. If you have any questions my email is laulaubee79@yahoo.com, I'm not on the webmagic lymphoma site as much as I used to be because I've been "getting back to my normal life<;"
Hugs Laura

12:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie
Jeff and I are thinking of you. Keep in there....we want to come see your Mt Everest and take a picture of you sitting in it.
Cheers
Your cuz
Julie

5:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home