My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Friday, July 14, 2006

July 14,2006

This is Sue updating Angie's blog for her. She had her intense chemo treatment today, and is pretty sick up to this point. She sleep through most of the chemo treatment, but woke up as it was just finishing up. Since then, she has been vomiting farely consistantly. Her Mom has been there the day, and is staying there tonight , to be by her side and assist her when she needs. She had a nurse attending to her throughout her whole treatment also.
I stopped by around 7 pm, and Angie was very tired, and not feeling well at all. She was too tired to talk much, and the nurse was trying to settle her with medication to help her with her nausea. I spoke with her around 9:30 tonight, and she asked me to update this blog, so , I did.
Saturday, she has another round of chemo. Not as intense, they tell me, but any chemo is so hard on the body. It is a shorter round also, so hopefully, she won't be so sick after. She hopes to be well enough on Monday to sneak out of the hospital for one last breath of fresh air, before she is too stay close to her room.
Please continue to send your words of encouragement as she checks her email and comments all the time.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed in so many ways! Keep up the good work!

Sue

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Angie, you go girl! You just keep climbing that mountain -- one foot in front of the other till you reach the top! I'm Sarah, from the HD side of the lymphoma message board, and I'm headed for an SCT myself. (Just received my first cycle of ICE salvage chemo this week.)

I wanted to say that I've read your blog from start to finish, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for so generously sharing your experience. You'll see my blog addie attached, feel free to stop by when your eyes straighten after that crappy high dose chemo! I think you're doing beautifully, and I'm so motivated by your grace and dignity in response to this great challenge.

I'm so happy you have the support system you do. My partner is enormously supportive and we have a couple of friends where we live now, but we just moved a few states south within the U.S....so there will be some challenges. Also, my entire procedure is planned to be delivered outpatient, so that carries some obvious additional challenges. I'll climb my own mountain, as you're climbing yours right now.

Just hold on, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. A journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step, right?

You're well on your way, Angie. Sending lots and lots of prayers and positive vibes your way. :)

Take care -- and keep smiling that beautiful smile!

Sarah (SarahSmile over at the board.)

1:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, your blog is interesting and very well done. You are a true inspiration. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Keep up the great work and positive vibes.

Coleen and Colleen

6:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie,

You're an inspiration to all who
know you.

Keep going strong-we're all
behind you.

Anne from Alderney Dental
xo

7:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home