My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Day - 5 Hospital Admission Day

TODAY HAS FINALLY ARRIVED!!! I am anxious & excited all at the same time....

Mom & Dad brought me to the hospital for 10am. The 10th Floor of the Victoria building is where I went to be admitted as a patient.

GREAT NEWS.....They had a bed for me in the Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant unit....there are only 6 beds in this unit & I was told that I probably wouldn't get a room here.
HERE ARE THE PERKS OF BEING HERE:
1. I have high speed Internet to update my blog & access e-mail.
2. Air Conditioning in my room.
3. Large Color TV with DVD player.
4. My own fridge.
5. A larger sized room & bathroom.
THIS WAS A REAL BOOST TO MY SPIRITS TODAY!!!

Mom & Dad were a great support today!! Mom helped me unpack all my stuff & Dad made sure my TV & DVD player were working properly.
After I was settled in my room, they had to go for an appointment to see Mom's oncologist in the Dixon Centre. There is nothing much to report, except her x-rays showed that her lungs were clear.

I met with Cathy, the Pharmacist to go over the Chemo Drugs & the potential side effects & complications that may occur.

I was also assessed by my nurse Patti & the unit doctor Bashar. Patti tooked a bunch of blood samples, weighed me, checked my vitals, & went over alot of information. Bashar reviewed my medical history & did a good physical examination.
At supper time I was given a pill called Allopurinol. This pill helps prevent a build up of uric acid in my body. Uric acid is basically dead cancer cells which can damage your kidneys if they are not dealt with.

All my assessments, tests etc. were done by about 5:30pm. Alot was accomplished today!!

As a treat, we all went out for Chinese Food at Fan's Restaurant in Dartmouth.....it will probably be my last meal that will taste good for a long time!!!

At 4am. tomorrow morning my nurse, Sandra, will be in to take my blood & hook me up to an IV of fluids. These fluids will be administered at a very fast rate to hydrate me in preparation for the start of my chemo at 10am. The fluids are important to help minimize damage to the major organs in the body.

Tomorrow I will receive VP-16 also known as ETOPOSIDE (eh-TOP-oh-side) over a 5 hour period. Saturday I will receive Melphalan(MEL-fa-lan) in approximately 20 mins.

I will do my best to keep my blog updated every day & if I can't then someone will.

Thank-you to all of you who called, e-mailed or sent comments in my blog over the past few days & weeks. Also, thanks to all those who are sending prayers & positive thoughts in your own way!! Please know how much I appreciate your support.....
I have a tough battle over the next few months & it gives me strength knowing that people care.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie

Was glad to see you "blogged" today as it almost feels like I am talking to you face to face. You're a darn good "blogger" I might add, maybe you should try writing a book when this is all done to help others fight the fight.

Great that you got the room with all the bells and whistles. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the site youtube.com, but it is a great site for spending countless hours being amused. I did a search on Ellen the other day, and laughed for hours.

Thinking about ya and sending positive thoughts your way.

Bye for now

Brenda, Robette and Chloe

11:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie - Fight the good fight, keep your chin up and I know you will get through this very hard time. Your strength, your courage and your attitude are so remarkable. Sending many healing thoughts and prayers your way. I will continue to read about your progress. I have fNHL much different than what you are dealing with but still fighting the same fight and I will not lay down my gloves. Be Strong - Pray and one day soon, you will be doing the dance. May your journey and hard work bring you years of health so that you may watch that tree grow old.

Hugs,
Michelle-
Webmagic lymphoma board
Las Vegas, NV

12:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

That's a beautiful tree that you will watch grow over the years and think back at what you had to go through at the time you planted it. It was a very memorable idea. Great spot to plant it.

Always thinking about you

Sandy

2:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY PRE-BIRTHDAY

Omgosh Angie,

We will be thinking, praying and cheering you on.

That is gonna be some kinda B'day!

Love Jane Michelle Holly & Timothy

2:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Angie:
Big Mac here.Judi told me about your blog.Wow, your writing skills are amazing.I agree, you should write a book.
Your determination and personal strength are coming through loud and clear in your blog.
The tree is a beautiful idea.You look so happy standing next to it.Your smile is contagious.I look forward to taking a picture of you by your Mount Everest on my new digital camera.
My prayers and many, many positive thoughts are there for you Angie.
Hugs to you.Big Mac (Anne Mac Kinnon)

3:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home