My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Pulmonary Function Tests

Today, I visited the Dartmouth General Hospital for some Pulmonary Function Tests(PFTs). In other words, we were testing how well my lungs are working. We want to be sure my lungs are healthy prior to SCT plus we want to have some data to compare against future tests. Generally, there are three kinds of PFTs:
Ones that measure how well the lungs exhale
Ones that measure how much air the lungs can inhale
Ones that measure how effectively the lungs can transfer oxygen into the bloodstream
I only needed to have two of the above tests.

The first test I had was called a Forced Vital Capacity....it measured how much air I could exhale during a forced breath. After putting on my attractive nose clips, I started off breathing normally into the mouth piece. Then, I had to take a deep breath and blow out with a huge blast of air and keep exhaling as much as I could out of my lungs.....then I took another deep breath in. I did this 3 times to make sure we got an accurate reading. Forced expiratory volume is the most important measurement of lung function.

The 2nd test I had was called a Diffusion Capacity Test. Lung diffusion testing is used to determine how well oxygen passes from the air sacs of the lungs into the blood. The test measures the "diffusing capacity of the lung for carbon monoxide" How the test is performed:
You breath in (inhale) some gas containing a very small quantity of carbon monoxide, hold your breath for 10 seconds, then rapidly blow it out (exhale). The single exhaled gas is analyzed to determine how much carbon monoxide was absorbed during the breath.

The Respiratory Therapist told me that my results were in the normal range. This is good to know, considering all the chemo I have already received. Hopefully, my lungs will stay healthy after the SCT!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there. You're doing great.

9:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, hello

Saw your parents last night at Swanton Drive. It was my Julia's 9th birthday and my grandmother's 90th. Camilla gave all the children squirt guns which created a lot of fun.

Iain and Geoff decided to gang up on Camilla inside the house. Good thing Mom was outside when they were chasing her through the kitchen. Your Dad said "Do you want to play monster?" I immediately thought of crashing head to head with you. What a hard, strong-willed, determined head you have. You are one of the strongest-minded people I know. In the days ahead remember "We are the champions, my friends! We will keep on fighting to the end."

I always think of you when I hear this song. You singing at the top of your lungs in the van. Full steam ahead. God speed.

Love,

Trena.

5:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hon,

Just a quick note from Ali--it's late, I was working on my car. It sounds like things are going semi-according to plan . . . although I wish you weren't experiencing the nausea that you were warned about. I'll check your blog tomorrow and depending on how you are feeling, I'll give you a call tomorrow night.

Have you got your candy with you? Do you want me to bring some more down next week?

Thinking about you every day, Ang, and we'll talk soon and I'll see you soon.

I'll drop you a quick line on your email now and again tomorrow.

Love you, miss you and thinking about you (and Sue and your folks) each and every day . . . Love Ali

1:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie:
Got message from Sue this morning.
We are thinking of you and wish you all the best. Will definitely be checking this site again to keep up on your progress.
Brenda and Gerry

11:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home