My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Friday, June 09, 2006

GCSF Injections

I haven't written since last week, as there really hasn't been much to write about. This past week was a vacation from hospital visits & anything else to do with this tumour of mine. It has been good to have some down time to gather my strength for what is coming in the next few weeks.
Yesterday, was the start of my G-CSF ( granulocyte colony-stimulating factor)Injections also known as Neupogen Filgrastim. Filgrastim is used to stimulate the production of granulocytes (a type of white blood cell) in patients undergoing therapy that will cause low white blood cell counts. This medication is used to prevent infection and neutropenic (low white blood cells) fevers caused by chemotherapy. I received this medication after each of my chemotherapy treatments to help keep my white count at safe levels. The doses I received after each of my chemos was 300 mcg per day from 5-7 days.
My current doses are more than 4 times as strong as those previous doses. The VON (Victorian Order of Nurses) administers 1380 mcg for 4 days finishing on Sunday. In large doses this drug encourages stem cells to mature very quickly into Neutrophils (a type of white blood cell). Because it causes such a rapid increase in neutrophils, the bone marrow is forced to push the stem cells out of the marrow and into the blood to make room for all the new cells. Hopefully, by Monday morning I will have lots of stem cells in my blood to begin the collection process. I will get a blood test at 7:30am. on Monday to determine if I have the necessary 34+Stem Cells. If I pass the test, then I will be hooked up to the aphaeresis machine for collection. I will have my laptop with me so I can update it while I am having my stem cells collected.

3 Comments:

Blogger jeannie said...

Great photographs! The lighting is so good.

Also thanks for the details about the injections. I guess this weekend I'll be sending thoughts of "Go stem cells, Go!" your way as they head out into your bloodstream.

Jeannie

7:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie

You sure are brave and on the ball with everything going on. I hope you're feeling fine. You look so calm getting the needles. I'm a whimp when it comes to needles. Keep positive (it helps).

Sandy

9:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a very posititive attitude and a brave person, glad to hear your doin well. I am 24 and i was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia(aml)My cancer has now been in remission for over 3 years. My Hemeotoligist was also Dr Couban, he is a very smart man you should be fine in his hands. Good Luck with everything.

7:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home