My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

May Long Week-end

Hi,
I am going to give updates once and a while leading up to my SCT as a way to keep you informed & also as a way for me to record my thoughts and feelings.

I went for blood work on Friday, May 19th & my white blood cells were 8.0 which is within the normal range. (Normal range is 4.5 - 11.0) I get GCSF Injections after each of my Chemo treatment that stimulate my bone marrow to produce white bloods cells. This is the reason I am in the normal range for now.
My Hemoglobin was 87 which continues to be low.(Normal is 120-160) A blood transfusion is required when your hemoglobin drops to 80 or below. Mine has dropped as low as 82 last week-end. In some people a transfusion is given at 90 or below. My platelets were all the way up to 65.(Normal is 150-350) Mine have been as low as 9. (below 10 you need a platelet transfusion) Below 70 you have to be very careful not to bang your head or cut yourself, as your blood will not clot very well & you may not stop bleeding. The main issues in my blood at the moment is my liver enzymes & my calcium. Normal for LD in the liver is 108 - 211. Last Monday my number was 500 and Tuesday it was 676. On Friday it had dropped to 400. So it is still high....it may have to do with those GCSF Injections that I mentioned above. Everything goes through the liver & kidneys & they can take a beating. I need to keep drinking lots of water....which I could be doing better with. Hopefully, on Tuesday my blood work will be normal. My calcium level is a bit low but that is probably due to the fact that I haven't been doing much weight bearing exercise...in other words I have been in bed alot in the past 4 weeks. So the past 3 days I have been going for some walks with the dogs.

The sun has come this afternoon, so I will write more later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings Angie,
I just wanted to let you know that I think this "blog idea" is a wonderful way to share your journey with friends and family. I think of you often...
With prayers and friendship,
Dee (Ottawa)

4:53 pm  
Blogger jeannie said...

Angie--thanks for using this blogging thing to keep us all up to date. It's nice to have something concrete, like numbers, to focus on---but since this blog is going to be read by those people who care so much about you, let us know how you are feeling, if you want.
Who knows the power of all this vitual caring!
Jeannie

6:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home