My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Ct Scan Results

Yesterday afternoon I went for a CT Scan. I have had quite a few CT Scans over the past 9 months. Each time there is a test....there is always some apprehension regarding the results. This scan had alot riding on it. My doctors were comparing my March 29th CT Scan to my scan yesterday, Thursday May 25th. This scan would tell us whether the two high dose chemo treatments of (R)-DHAP worked. In order for me to proceed forward with the Stem Cell Transplant (as part of the NCIC Study I am involved in), the size of my tumor had to at the very least stay the same size or be smaller then it was on March 29th.

Today after my blood work, I had an appointment to see Dr. David Anderson (my Hematologist) at 1:20pm. Coleen (my sister) went with me to the appointment. Mom & Dad were not able to be there, because Mom was getting her knee operated on today & they were at the other hospital site waiting for her 3pm. appointment.

I wasn't actually feeling overly nervous though I was sweating a bit....who wouldn't be. I felt that if the chemo's had not worked, I would be feeling more symptoms than I was. Anyway, I couldn't be sure...so I waited to hear it from the doctor. He was fairly close to being on time because I was his second patient of the day....so it was a relief not to have to wait too long.
He came into the examination room and immediately told me that my tumor had decreased in size by quite a bit.....he said this was "Good" news!! March 29th my measurements were 4.8 x 2.9 cm & on May 25th they are 3.1 x 1.7 cm. That is the smallest measurement yet!! So the 2 high dose chemo's did their job & now I move onto the next phase of my treatment. I am very thankful for this news today & there will definitely be a celebration tonight. It is important to recognize these small victories...

My chart will now be handed over to Dr. Stephen Couban(Hematologist specializing in SCT) for my Stem Cell Transplant. I meet with him on Tuesday, May 30th to discuss the plan. I will also have a new nurse who will be responsible for booking me into the hospital for the SCT, booking my tests & making sure everything gets done that the doctor requests.

As I write this, I am waiting to hear from Dad for an update on Mom. I know she went in for surgery but have not heard how it went. Hopefully, she will be back on her feet soon....I know she is looking forward to getting on that golf course this summer.

Thank-you for all your e-mails & comments......they give me strength & lift my spirits.

Love Angie

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie. I just read the news about the CT scan...we are very happy the chemo treatments were a success. I hope you celebrated tonight!
Take everything one step at a time and enjoy the weekend....you & Sue deserve it.

Love,
KD & Becky

1:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, congratulations of your great news! I hoped you celebrated big. Now you can move forward. Best of luck.

I really like the blog idea. I'll definitely follow along.

Love,
Janice

7:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie, Your Dad has been keeping all of updated regarding your health and your Mom's. I am so happy that what you and the doctors are doing is working. We met at Patricia Langleys and few years ago at Amber Glades. I really appreciate your Dad keeping us updated when the time is appropriate. Our prayers are for you and your Mom ( and family) Good thoughts and good doctors are what works. Keep it up .Sincerely Bev and Dan Pearson

8:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie; Just wanted you to know that Jeff Rachel & I are happy to hear your latest news & that you are aok to go ahead with the Stem Cell Transplant! That's wonderful news. We will check in on your blog so we know what's happening & of course - getting emails from Murray too!

Hugs
Krista, Jeff & Rachel

9:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home