My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Monday, May 15, 2006 Update #1

Hi,

First, I want to thank those of you who have sent e-mails of support & encouragement recently & over the past 9 months. It really helps to boost my spirit when I am having trouble doing it myself.

Second, I thought I would give a general overview of where things are at in my treatment.

As most of you know, my sister(Coleen) & I flew to Toronto & Vancouver in March to meet with two different doctors for a second opinion as to the next step in my treatment. At that point, my hematologist felt my Non Hodgkins Lymphoma was in a complete remission. The decision I had to make was whether or not to go ahead with Radiation Therapy. My two doctor's in Halifax had two different opinions....so they put the decision in my hands. As it turned out, my trip to T.O. & Vancouver was a worthwhile one for us to make. After meeting with both doctors, I had a test called a PET/CT Scan done on my body in Vancouver. We do not have this machine in Halifax yet, but it is coming. Anyway, this PET/CT Scan showed that my cancer was still active & it also showed that my tumour had grown since a CT Scan completed on February 28th. This information changed everything. I would not be proceeding with Radiation as my lymphoma had relapsed. As a result, my best course of treatment would be Stem Cell Transplant(SCT).

Leading up to my SCT I have had two high dose chemo's that have required a hospital stay each time it is administered. In between these two high dose chemo's I developed an infection that lead to a 2 week hospital stay. These two treatments and extended hospital stay have been challenging, however, I think I have turned a corner & have been feeling well during the past several days.

Over the next few weeks, I will be building my strength again with a healthy diet & a supplemental program. On May 25th, I will have a CT Scan to determine whether I move forward with the SCT. If everything is a go ahead, my stem cells will be collected the week of June 5th. Then I wait 2-3 weeks until I will be admitted to the hospital for a 3rd high dose chemo. This one is much stronger than the first two....& will destroy all the good & bad blood cells in my body. Once all my cells are destroyed...they will reintroduce my own Stem Cells back into my body so they can find their way back to where they belong. Eventually, my blood counts will start to rise & the slow recovery process begins. I will be in hospital roughly 3 weeks. I expect to begin my 3rd treatment (SCT) either the last week of June or first week of July.

I still feel positive that I will be successful in meeting this challenge in the coming weeks. My family have been amazing through all of this. It means everything to have the love and support that they give to me everyday. I am also fortunate to have a good core of friends that have been in constant contact with me to lift me up or have a good laugh with. I can't express enough how much all of your thoughts & prayers help give me strength to face each day.

When I go for my SCT, I hope to have a laptop computer to keep up with my e-mails.

This is just a brief description of the events of the past 2 couple months, however, it gives a general overview of what has happened & what is expected to happen in the coming weeks.

Again, I thank all of you for your support.

Love Angie

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie:

I got your email and now have your blog entered into "favorites" so I can access it easily. I will look forward to hearing how everything is going for you. I especially wish you luck for your next CT scan.

Holly Wells

5:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie:

Good news about your CT scan! I am glad you are feeling well and reasonably strong 'cause you have a tough road ahead of you with the SCT. Your very positive attitude will be a great asset thoughout the next phase. All the best and I will keep current with your blog to find out when you start with the SCT.

2:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site, Angie. Cool to see the lanscaping pictures too, since we've been to the house!

stay strong,

luv, Heather, Sean & Caleb

1:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i face a autoglogous transplant. i am 67 years old. i;ve hod 3 different kinds cancer. my transplant will at dana farber in boston.i have had excellent at st.joes oncology center in nashua n.h. i am alittle scared of how things will go trade58 a.k.a. hank

10:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home