My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Day + 98 "Out of Hospital"

This is just a quick update to say I am home from the hospital. I was released yesterday afternoon at my request......though I hope I haven't jumped the gun too soon!

On Sunday, I spent most of the day at home on a day pass, and felt that I did well with getting enough fluids & nutrition into me. I was feeling better, even though I was tired. On Monday, I continued to feel fairly good & thought I was ready to be released from hospital. I felt that I would heal better at home in my own bed with my own kitchen to make nutritious food. Plus, I thought I would be safer from infection & disease more prevalent in hospitals. My White Blood counts were only 1.7 & my ANC was 1190.....so still running low in the immunity department.

Anyway, yesterday went fairly well & I felt I managed to get plenty of food & fluid into my gut. However, this morning I had some cream of wheat & immediately my stomach started to gurgle. As time went on, I started to feel worse & ended up vomiting....then I tried to get water in me to replace some of the lost fluid & I vomited again.......then I realized that I forgot to fill an important prescription for Zantac....which reduces the acid in my stomach to prevent acid reflux. I believe it is the acid reflux causing my problems.

Mom then filled my prescription for Zantac , along with an added prescription for Zofran to help with nausea. ( I called Dr. Bata who over saw my care in hospital , and asked her to phone in this prescription to the pharmacy, & she was kind enough to help me out).

I vomited once more so far (3 times total)....then managed to take my Zantac & am crossing my fingers that will solve the problem in the next 24 hours or less.

Anyway, I am concerned that I am losing too much weight & body fluid.....& am determined to get this rectified ASAP.

I will keep you posted.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Glad to see that you're home and getting rest and "some" nutrition. Surely with the meds, you'll be able to keep it down soon. You'll be eating ice cream in no time! Note to Sara: All the best tomorrow.

6:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, I'm sorry it's still so hard. I don't know if you already know this, but they say that Gatorade, or Powerade, are really about the best thing you can drink at a time like this when you're trying to hold onto fluid. It sounded crazy to me at first because I thought they were just a bunch of sugary crap, but according to many of my onc nurses and also my BMT onc, they are just what the doctor ordered right now.....hard to believe, but better than a glass of juice. It's all about the electrolytes. That's what they offer that you won't find elsewhere. So get some of them if you haven't already, and don't get behind the eight-ball on the Zofran again. Zofran is an old friend of mine, so make sure you stick to the schedule, and make sure also that you start to take a gentle laxative (like Senna) and a stool softener (like Dulculax) -- you will need this additional support at home, I promise. The Zofran is good once you get into the routine....but if you fall behind it's harder to catch up. Do you have compazine or ativan to help with the urgent stuff?

BE sure to drink a lot of fluid with the Zofran. The aforementioned Gatorade/Powerade could help you out on a couple of fronts, as it does contain a goodly number of calories in addition to those yummy electrolytes.

Just a thought. I'll check later. Tomorrow's my birthday/transplant!

12:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are one tough cookie little Scorpion! It's about time I got a computer in order to track what in the "hell" is going on in your journey. Each day I am sending out positive thoughts into the universe for your full recovery. It's nice to know that you have such a strong support network rallying you on. I am one more, no matter how infrequently you hear from me. Marie

1:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie I'm glad you're home. Hope you feel stronger real soon. Sandy

2:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, today, Wednesday, there was no vomiting, I hope. It must be so nice to be home and have some control over your space. Jessie and Jasper must be thrilled as well to have someone home during the day. Stay well---
Jeannie

7:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
We are also glad to hear that you are out of the hospital. We fully agree that you are less likely to pick up germs home than in a hospital. Listen to what Sarah is telling you, she sure knows a lot about what you are going through. Stay strong.
Love D & L

7:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To those who mention me, "Hi!" *insert big happy wave here* Thank you for your kindness!

Angie, do you have access to tofu around you? Miso? Because I can imagine that if you could get a good quality bowl of miso with a nice big chunk of healthy, soothing tofu in it, you'd feel like someone had covered your insides with a warm, calming blanket. It's reknowned for its healing, soothing properties in the stomach. I would look into it -- it can't hurt!

Also, to follow up on the Zofran: don't be afraid to up your dosage of the Senna and Dulcolax (gentle laxative and stool softener) if you don't see results pretty quickly. Once you get fairly constipated, you'll find that it worsens your nausea considerably, so obviously you want none of THAT craziness! I found that 2 of each morning and evening kept something happening, even if it wasn't easy. I'll just leave it at that. Eat your spinach, eat your tofu, drink your water, walk.

Alright, mama's done talking now. (When does she ever shut up??)

2:06 am  
Blogger MondoBeyondo said...

Praying for you!!!
Grace and Peace,

Chris

11:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie ; Delighted with your progress !!!! God works in mysterious ways .Keep smiling ! God bless !!! Mona & Alan

4:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home