My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Day + 55 Pet Scan Results & Radiation Plan


I met with Dr. Wilke (Radiation Oncologist) this morning regarding my PET/CT Scan from the University of Sherbrooke Hospital. We only have the written report so far......they are being much too slow for my liking sending out a copy of the CD with the pictures.....

Unfortunately, my scan appears to still show a reading of 10 SUV (standardized uptake value)in the residual mass in my chest. This means, that there is probably still cancer activity in my tumour. The upside, is that nothing irregular shows up anywhere else in my body. The Pet Scan I had on March 17th had an SUV of 16.....therefore there is a decrease.....
Obviously, I wanted there to be "0" SUV.......we just continue to fight!

Dr. Wilke's plan of action, is to treat me with a total of45 Gray (A measure of absorbed radiation dose. One Gray equals 100 rads, in the older terminology) over 25 treatments. These treatments will occur twice a day for 2 1/2 weeks. He feels that because my lymphoma is being a resistant bugger, that it is better to attack it quickly & hard.....don't give it a chance to multiply. My treatments will be approximately 6 hours apart....therefore, I will go to the hospital first thing in the morning & again at the end of the day. Even if my Pet Scan came back negative for cancer cells, Dr. Wilke was still going to radiate.....the difference being that he would have treated with a dose of 36 gray, once a day for 20 treatments.

The size of my tumour is now: 1.6cmx2.3cmx1.9cm....this is smaller than a CT scan showed on May 25th after my 2 high dose chemos.....I only have 2 measurements on that tumour of: 1.7cmx3.1cm. This indicates that the Stem Cell transplant still did something to the size of the tumour.

Dr. Wilke is hoping to start my Radiation Therapy (RT) next Monday or Tuesday. He really wants to get the CD of my PET Scan in his hands first.....
I also have the "Best Doctors" organization working on getting another copy of the CD for their doctor to evaluate and make recommendations for my case.

Dr. Wilke feels that there is an 80% chance that the radiation will kill the cancer cells in the tumour in my chest.....the concern will be if any cancer cells decide to find their way to another place in my body.....this is why we need to act quick with the RT.
A couple of positive things to mention are:
first, that in the year since my initial diagnosis, my lymphoma has stayed localized &
second, my tumour is the smallest is has ever been.....so hopefully, the radiation will do its job & kill the remaining cells AND that will be the end of it!!

Other than what I have mentioned above, I also had my markings done today. Basically, I had to lay on the table of a CT Scan machine on top of a plastic bag with foam beads inside. This bag (called a VacLock) is used to make a mold of my upper body....air suction is used to help mold the shape. I have been through this procedure twice before....but we hadn't followed through with radiation treatments yet. This time I did not have tattoos as they were able to use the tattoo markings from previous sessions. There are 4 tatoos kind of like the 4 points of a compass. They are just very small black dots...like a pen mark. These dots are used to position my body for accuracy...so that my radiation treatments will hit the correct location of the treatment area......this is basically in the center of the 4 black dots.
Once I was lined up & molded the movable table ran in & out of the tubular shape machine....Dr. Wilke was behind a window, operating the controls that allowed him to set up my field for my future RT's.
Next week, I will go to a different machine to receive my actual treatments. Each treatment will consist of one shot to the front of my chest & one shot in my back....both radiating the area of my tumour. ( I have been told that they are about 2 minutes each)
I will of course provide more details as they happen.

Well, that is about all I have to report today.....I have certainly had better days....but it isn't all bad...& we have to hope that the radiation will finish of the job.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
I have been reading your blog every time you write, we are all folling your progress here.
I really feel that the radation is all that it needs now and it will be gone for good. We love you so much keep up the good thoughts and are prayers are always with you, Love Auntie Inez

9:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, you continue to fight and we will continue to pray. You are an inspiration to so many people.

Your valley cousins

10:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie
Wish everything was 100% for you. You sure deserve it for all you have been through. Jeff and I hope that this radation treatment does the trick and kills all those damn cells for good!! You have to stop spending so much time doing these treatment....Mountain equipment co-op is waiting for a shopping spree here in Toronto for you and Sue!! Take care of your self,we are hoping for you to have a positive result from this radiation. Hi to Sue as well.
Love
your cuz, Julie

12:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
I konw this wans't the news you were hoping for, but your positive attitude, amazing strength and perserverance will prevail. Know that you are continuously in my thoughts and prayers.
Cheryl

7:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there neighbour!!!Just another small mountain for you to climb and we all know you can do it!!!!You have climbed some already...this is another small hurdle.Thinking of you and Sue!!!

Love Sue and Andrea

9:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie! Thanks so much for taking the time to keep us posted. You always remind me to see the beauty in the everyday. Now, as for these last few stubborn cells - blast the shit out of them and don't look back... all the while singing "na na na na, hey hey hey, good bye!" Lots of love and good vibes as always, Rhonda.

9:53 pm  
Blogger Terryand Tish said...

Hi Angie, Not the news we wanted to hear but,if radation will kill those suckers go for it. We are all thinking of you daily and trying to send happy vibes your way.You will get better girl,this time next year it will all be memories. Hi to Sue. Love you Angie from your fanily in the West....

11:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie:
Just another pebble in your path on the crossing of the mountain. You are much too positive and obviously love life too much to let this little stumble keep you down for long. Good luck with your radiation and like everybody else, we hope you annihilate those little b*#%&*%#s all to you-know-where! Check on you again...
Brenda &Gerry

10:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

angie,
i have been reading your blog on and off and been thinking of you lots. i do send my love and energy.
just wanted to let you know and check in....
Lisa in calgary

6:23 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Angie, I'm so sorry to hear that you got this news. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to chime in here -- I had surgery, collection and then some follow-up appointments this week so it's been hectic. (Hey, can you believe they collected 7,800,000 in one day?!?!)

Two thoughts: First, I was really surprised that they were giving you a PET scan so soon after finishing treatment. Two of my BMT docs told me that I could not get a PET until 100 days after my SCT because there was such a risk for a false positive during that period. I don't mean to assert that your positive PET isn't accurate, but it does seem odd to me that there are such disparate follow-up scan protocols. I should say that my oncs are at Emory, considered the best hospital in the southeast U.S., and they mirror literally at Emory literally ALL of the SCT/BMT treatment protocols of Sloan Kettering in NY -- which is one of the best cancer hospitals in the U.S.

Second, my oncs have also said that all studies indicate that radiation is an absolutely critical component of the SCT process for Hodgkins and non-Hodgkins patients alike, so I suspect that will be just the ticket for you.

I can't imagine how your heart must have felt hearing that news -- my heart breaks for you and Sue having this seemingly neverending battle. Just know that you have the fortitude and resilience to see this through until you get the cure you deserve. Your spirit shines so brightly, and is so beautiful....I want you to know that I am one of so MANY who care deeply about you and pray for you. We are all here for you, behind you, beside you, and in front of you. This whole thing is just so hard and so, so draining emotionally, physically, and psychically, isn't it? But when the element of choice is removed, it sort of simplifies things, no? So you just move forward with an open heart and mind, willing your body to cooperate.

Be strong, Angie, and keep your head up. The sun is shining on it. :)

Love and big hugs to you both ~

10:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

I have been referred to you by Sarah because I am facing SCT soon.
I have been reading through your blog and I am very impressed with the way you dealing with this all!!
I have been trying to get some answers on the R-DHAP chemo but so far no one has been able to tell me what to expect. Sarah suggested I contact you because you have had that chemo.
If you are well enough could you please inform me what I can expect?
My e-mail address is deirdre_zondervan@hotmail.com

I would really very much appreciate it if you could give me some more info on this.

Lots of love to you and especially I wish you to get better soonest.
Love
Deirdre

8:42 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay! Dierdre commented! Angie, please know that Dierdrie is one of the most lovely and gracious people on the forum! Like you, she had non-HD, and unfortunately she went on to what ended up being a short-term remission.

If I'm not mistaken, she's Irish-born, but living now in Holland. Now how rockin' is THAT? :)

I hope you can help her, because SCT's are much rarer on the non-HD side of the board than the HD, and they don't give DHAP to HD patients. I can't stress enough how incredibly gracious, humble, giving and sincerely loving Dierdre is....so I hope you can help her.

Love to you -- hope you're holding up and doing well, and that you continue to grow stronger every single day. Hey, I start radiation tomorrow -- how about you?

10:26 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Angie,

Just checking in to see how you're doing. Have you started radiation yet? I'm 3 treatments in and finding it completely manageable -- don't much like the mask, though! ;)

Just thinking of you.

Big hugs,

2:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Angie:

I know we have never met, but I feel I know alot about you... I have read all your blog and cannot believe how strong and focused you are... you truly are an inspiration to the human race... and let me add..you a beautiful lady. I wish you all the luck in the world and look forward to reading more about your journey.

thanks for sharing

Bonita
ps I am a friend of your sisters

10:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Angie:

I am not sure if my last message went through as this is my first time on a blog...ya I know..I don't get out much...:):) hope your having a wonderful day.

Bonita

10:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home