My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Day +76 Week 2 of Radiation

As, I write this, I have completed 11 Radiation Treatments (RT).....with 14 more to go.

My side effects have been minimal so far, though I was getting quite tired last Thursday & Friday .....most likely from all the driving back and forth fighting traffic(45 mins. to an hour each way) & then trying to find parking at the hospital.....that can be difficult. I was driving myself most of last week, then asked for Mom or Dad to drive me the last few treatments. I will probably, continue to get them to drive, except when I have other plans in between my day appointments.

On Friday, I had an appointment to see Dr. Wilke after my RT....to our surprise, he told me that my White Blood Count was only 1.5 and my ANC was 566. This bloodwork was from last Monday morning and he didn't know what would cause this.....as I had only 1 RT at that point. My ANC was over 2000 a couple of weeks ago! Dr.
Wilke told me he couldn't give RT if my ANC was below 500....so I had to have more bloodwork done Friday morning to see if I would have my treatment in the afternoon. If my ANC was below 500 then I would have to get GCSF injections for the week-end to boost my WBC & then check my bloodwork again. Anyway, my ANC came back at 614....so we went ahead with the next treatment. I am still waiting for my blood results today...to make sure I have a treatment this afternoon.
I expressed some concern to my nurse, that I didn't find out my bloodwork until Friday.....as I was more vulnerable to infection & I might have done some things differently, if I knew my counts.
I also called my Study Nurse, Angie, to ask about my bloodwork concerns.......she eased my mind some when she said it is not uncommon to see a huge drop in WBC & ANC during the recovery process after a Stem Cell Transplant.......she was not concerned by my bloodwork, so I felt much better. Everytime a surprise happens.....it gets your mind going.....so I appreciated getting her feedback.

These photos are of me in the waiting room......my Radiation Therapists setting me up to receive my treatment & then they go outside the room & use the computer to administer my dose.

I will keep you posted......


3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, just a lightning-quick post to tell send you positive vibes and love and tell you that I'm always thinking about you and rooting for you!!

Go, Angie, GO!!!!

2:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie
Opened up your blog today and was reading through your notes on the last couple of months. Tears came to my eyes when you told about the visit from your dogs. How great is that! Your mom told us you were beginning to eat better. We were there for dinner on Sat. evening as you probably already know.I think I told you about the guy I met at the hockey game who has experienced similar cancer to yours. He thought he knew your name through field hockey and your mom said you played. His name is Paul Peters and he lives in Bridgewater. He's a good friend with the radiologist who has been involved with gettting the new PET Scan. He also sits by us at the games. I'll give you Paul's e-mail and phone number and he'd be glad to talk. He works with Mental Health Program of the South Shore with adolescents. I found him to be a very positive person who loves to talk. Thought he might be some support for you. It is support from others in similar situations as myself that I found great help and understanding.

PAUL B. PETERS 527-5228 OR 543-4604 EXT. 2368

E-MAIL ppeters@ssdha.nshealth.ca
I'm not sure if he is back to work yet and those are his numbers at work. I don't have his home number.


Mary and Chum

5:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

We have never met but I know your Mom and Dad through Grandview Golf. I have been reading your progress reports and you are an inspiration . God bless you as you go on with your life .

Donna Ryder

9:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home