My Photo
Name:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

In Sept./05 I was diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. The tumour in my chest measured 10cm x 10.6cm x5cm. After I completed 6 rounds of CHOP-R chemotherapy, a CT Scan in Jan.06 showed that my tumour had decreased by well over half the original size. A Gallium Scan showed negative for cancer cells in my mass. We decided to do 2 more treatments to be sure we killed any remaining cancer. We now had to decide if I should proceed with radiation. Did the risks of radiation outweigh the benefits? My hematologist and radiation oncologist had excellent arguments for both sides of the coin. The decision was to be mine. They set up appointments for me to see doctors in Toronto and Vancouver for 2nd opinions. In Vancouver I had a PET/CT Scan (a superior machine to a Gallium Scan) to see if my tumour was active. On March 17th this scan revealed that my tumour WAS still active and had INCREASED in size from an early scan. This meant that I had Relapsed or Refractory NHL....my best chance for cure was a Stem Cell Transplant. In my blog, I will describe what I am going through before, during and after my transplant.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Day + 94 Still in Hospital

So.....I am still having trouble drinking/eating & am currently getting most of my nutrition by IV. ( It is called TPN). I will not be discharged from hospital until I can orally digest an adequate amount of nutrition. We are working on pain control to enable me to swallow. I am starting to drink water....& small amounts of broth....& tonight I had some yogurt with lots of omega oil & Pro-biotics...plus some other nutrient filled liquid. (complements of my friends Cindy & Amy)
There is a balance between getting the food down & keeping it down......as when I force feed my self, I end up vomiting & that sets me back further. My esphogus is very raw, bleeding, red, black, white...if you were able to see it. Anyway, I have found it to be more painful than the mucositis I had after my Stem Cell Transplant.(It has taken alot of abuse from having radiation 2 times a day for 2 1/2 weeks......but if it works then I can handle this too!

I think I may be turning a corner....as we are using a patch system to help with my pain.(Fentanyl). I have two patches of 25 mg. attached to my thigh...& the slow release pain medication helps keep me comfortable. When I am ready to eat, I swallow some xylocaine(Lidocaine) to temporarily freeze my espophogus to help control the pain to swallow. I have now started using Ativan to help me sleep......plus Zophran to control nausea......& Pantaloc to control my stomach acids & help prevent reflux action. So with time, rest & the aid of the above medications....I should be healed in the not too distant future.

As usual, I have the non waivering support of my family....Mom is here almost everyday....Sue, Dad, & Coleen have been here lots too!! My Uncle Terry & Aunt Tish visiting from British Columbia have been in for a visit. My Aunt Tish spent a couple afternoons, along with my mother here at the hospital.....when I was feeling not so good.....it was a great distraction being able to get caught on my family in the west from my Aunt Tish. I really appreciated her being able to spend quality time with me!!! Plus visits from Andrea & Sue, Adele, Cindy & Amy, Maureen......sometimes I haven't been feeling too good, but is was a good distraction to have some visits. (though sometimes I wasn't well enough to have visitors....as I was in too much pain) Most of the other time I have been resting & sleeping.

One good thing that has come out of this hospital stay....is that I have been able to take advantage of some complementary services offered by volunteers at the hospital. We have a special place in the hospital, called the "Sunshine Room". Every week day from 10am.-3pm. services such as Massage Therapy, Reflexology, Therapuetic Touch, & Reike are offered to cancer patients. Finally......we are intergrating medicine & alternative medicine/therapies to aid in the healing process. So I went for a Massage on Wed., Reflexology on Thurs. & another massage today. It was a great distraction from my pain & a positive change of scenery.....
What a wonderful service offered by all these volunteers!!!

If any of you have followed Sarah's Stem Cell Transplant Journey....I want you to know she is on the count down to her Transplant day next Wednesday.
Her blog site is: http://journeytobabeland.blogspot.com/
I would appreciate anyone who could send positive energy her way.....as she has given so much positive energy to so many people with Lymphoma & beyond......many of these people, she has never met......including me!
Her comments during my SCT.....were so encouraging....often made me laugh & really lifted my spirits time & time again....
She has been very helpful to many others on the lymphoma magic message board....I really don't know where she gets all her energy. However, energy loses it's zest during stem cell transplant process, which is why I ask as many of you as possible to send her some of your encouraging energy.....help her have the strength to get through this!!!!
Thank-you in advance for anything you can offer!!

I will keep you posted as to when I am able to get out of hospital.....
I am here until Monday for sure......but my goal is to be well enough to be discharge on Monday....lots of work to do between then & now.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Angie, how sweet are you? Thank you so much for thinking of me and for the shout-out. :) I'm moving along nicely, and things are picking up speed. You know the drill. I really appreciate your support -- I respect and enjoy you so much. Sometimes in this life you meet valuable people at critical times, and this is one of those times for me.

I'm so happy to hear that you've been transitioned to the patches! That's a great sign. Now if you could just hurry up the getting it down and keeping it down! It will come, though, just give it a couple more days. You definitely sound like you're on the upswing, which is GREAT news. I predict you'll meet your goal of Monday.

I can't wait to hear that you're back at home and resuming your previously scheduled but interrupted healing. When do you get your follow-up scans? I know after radiation we're supposed to wait 2-3 months. Hey, did you know that radiation continues to work in the body for 60 days after the last treatment? I was happy to hear that, because I want its benefit -- but without having to actually go to there every day! (Lazy American...)

Best to you and Sue and the gorgeous pups,

Sarah

12:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie
Sounds like hell. I hope you feel well enough to go home Monday.
Always thinking about you, Sandy

5:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie

I called you today, not realizing that you were still in the Hospital. I usually check your blog numerous times a day, but duh, somehow I didn't check in before I called. When I just looked I was shocked to see that you were still in the Hospital. Sounds like this has been as rough a go as anything you've faced. Wish I could be there to spend some time with you, but alas, I am so far away.

I will call you tommorrow, and of course I'll see you in a few weeks, just wanted you to know that we're thinking about ya.

I hope this "esophagus trauma" clears up soon, and like you say, you've turned a corner.

Love you big.

Brenda, Robette and Chloe

1:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always Angie, you amaze us. Continue to stay strong, may you be released on Monday. We're thinking of you.
With love, D & L

5:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you strength and well wishes!!! You are doing great!!!

Hugs!!!

and your family is wonderful too!! What a blessing.

Susy (from Lymphoma board)

8:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

Congrats on completing all your radiation. Wow...im impressed with the sunshine room, what a great service and glad you are benefiting from it. Well, I hope by this time you are discharged home and on your way to eating again on your own. Know I am thinking of you and you are in my prayers. Cheryl

8:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angie! I really hope you're reading this from home or at least are getting ready to go home. You really deserve a break. Chin up, girl - and remember: drugs ARE good! Whatever it takes. Lots of love, Rhonda.

9:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home